more drama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more drama

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Defaultmore drama

So Toby got to go the vet today again. This time because he got attacked by a bulldog at daycare. He has a puncture wound on his right cheek about 2" below his eye, which required two staples and he'll be on antibiotics for a week.

Anway, the story I got is as follows: I dropped the dogs off at 6:45 on my way to work this morning. The woman who owns the place came in about 9 AM and went to relieve the guy who was in the big dog room. When she opened the gate there was a lot of excitement, jumping, barking, etc., and somehow in the mayhem this year-old American Bulldog got hold of Toby and wouldn't let go. Toby was crying and not fighting back, the bulldog was growling, and it took a lot of effort, all the workers, and too much time to get them separated. She got them separated, put the bulldog in a crate, and put Toby at the front desk with her, where she checked him all over for injuries. There was a little blood, and the puncture was about the size of her thumb print, so she cleaned him up and called my vet. Since it wasn't an emergency, the vet told her to come in at 11:30. She phoned my husband to tell him what happened, he emailed me at work, and I then called her to get the story firsthand.

She called me from the vet, and then the vet phoned me herself. She (the vet) assured me that the injury wasn't serious, but she decided to put in two staples. So now he has another shaved spot to go with his lump-removal surgery, this time on his face! She said he seems fine, no pain or anything, and she OK'd him to go back to daycare where he'll stay up front away from the other dogs and supervised all day. I decided that was a better idea than me running over there to take him home, where he'd be alone the rest of the afternoon and more likely to scratch it open (it would be really tough for me to take the afternoon off today unless it was a real emergency - which the doctor assures me it isn't). So I haven't seen him yet.

I've also been told that the bulldog will be expelled, as this was definitely not play behavior taken too far, but real aggression. I've also been assured that she has records from his family stating that he's up to date on all his shots, etc. I know that incidents happen and I'm trying hard not to get too upset about the whole thing right now, though that isn't easy. The daycare owner covered the vet costs and I'll leave it to her to follow up with the bulldog's family - who in my opinion really should be the ones paying since their dog was the aggressor and had no injuries himself.

The woman who runs the daycare is a friend of mine, and I really don't want to take business away from her. But I'm seriously thinking about taking Toby and Chamois elsewhere because there just seems to be a complete breakdown of discipline over there now.

So between this and the boat accident on Saturday (which I didn't post about) I'm left wondering what will be the third thing? Touch wood...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Poor Toby. I would do what you feel is right...go with your gut!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Poor Toby, what an ordeal for the guy. I'm glad he is okay. Your vet seems to be right on the ball, that's great.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Ursula. Your poor boy.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

get well soon Toby. I wouldn't take them back unless they could demonstrate some procedural changes to assure you that that can't happen again.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I could just cry for Toby glad it wasnt too serious poor baby xxx

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh no!!!

Well, I think you were right to leave him there where he can be supervised. But geesh!

It did sound like they did everything right in terms of taking him to your vet, getting in touch with your hubby, etc.

I hope his cheek will be OK. Those bulldogs just grab and hang on Poor thing. I hope this doesn't make him scary about other dogs. Maybe it was a good thing to leave him at daycare also for that reason, instead of removing him immediately. He got to go back and have a more pleasant experience all afternoon, where if you'd whisked him out he might have been more nervous to return later. ??

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Good point, Connie. But I don't know what kind of incident it would take to really make Toby scared of other dogs, he's just so happy-go-lucky and sociable. Following the "ear incident" at the dog park when he was about a year old, I thought he'd be nervous going back. Nope, he was completely unfazed. He loves going to daycare so much, I doubt this will make him nervous - even if I'd taken him straight home. Nicole sent me a picture (poor quality) to show his injury, and he was up at the reception desk with his usual big goofy grin as if nothing happened.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I hope you are feeling better now, Toby, you poor guy!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

justine is offline Senior Member

*sigh* Poor Toby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast