People who don't understand
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People who don't understand

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultPeople who don't understand

But first, today's update: Things continue as normal, a peaceable kingdom. They are both still a bit subdued. Simon seems less likely to step on anyone's toes (figuratively), and is not exhibiting any of his usual demanding behavior (demand barking, space-invading, etc.). Good instincts on his part. Angus' eye looks better all the time, but still bad. His other wounds are healing very well.

I thought I'd share with you some sage dog training advice I got at the vet's the other day when I brought Angus in. There was a lady there who came in right after me and saw me standing there crying with Angus looking like, well, like he'd been in a fight. She asked what happened. I said, "He's been in a fight."

Interestingly (and very annoyingly, IMO), the first question everyone had was: "What kind of dog did this?" Then they're just on the edge of their seat, it seems, waiting for me to tell them, "Oh, it was one of those awful Pit Bulls/Rottweillers/insert your favorite "aggressive" breed here." A girl at work's comment was, "Wow, I didn't think Labs had that in them." It really bugs me that people don't understand that no particular breed holds a monopoly on fighting. Another person's comment: "Well, my parents had two dogs that they had to be careful about feeding." Then the big qualifier: "But they were little dogs." Yes, fighting is only a big deal when it's "big dogs." Little dogs, just fine. GRRR!

Anyway - back to the sage dog advice from the lady at the vet's office. So I'm standing there, very visibly upset, waiting to see a vet while Angus drips blood on the floor. Clearly, this is a great time to give me a lesson about dog training. After I tell her the lady that he was in a fight with our other dog, she tells me, "Well, we didn't train our dogs to fight." ????? Oh! There was my mistake. What is she thinking? Do I look like a "dog fighter?" Seriously? Then she goes on, "When our dogs look like they're going to fight, we tell them 'no.'" OHHHH! Wow! That would never have occurred to me, to just say no! Gee, I'm going to remember that one. Let me practice: "NO!" Oh boy! This could really work!

I just gave her the, "I am finished talking to you" look. She meant well, I guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

When one doesn't open their mouth there is some question as to how dumb they might be. When one opens their mouth they eliminate all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX View Post
    When one doesn't open their mouth there is some question as to how dumb they might be. When one opens their mouth they eliminate all doubt.
    I think that was Abraham Lincoln? It's one of my favorite quotes!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Boston is offline Senior Member

great quote. Very fitting for this paticular exchange.

labby is offline Senior Member

I can see her point to a point. I've not ever had two dogs that fight, so let me clarify that first. However, I've had stare downs. I correct the behavior BEFORE it can escalate. I see a look or a grab for a toy or anything I don't want to see and I tell whoever it is to knock it off. So I can see what she was saying even though you didn't want her saying something like that.

Laura

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

If the alpha had have been there, the fight probably would not have occurred. Am I correct in this? I think 90% of it was they were being supervised by "grandparents." I'm sure the lady in the vet's office didn't realize this.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Whoever said it, it is now in my instant recall reference library. My kids, especially the Dr., are not going to like it. <g>
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

justine is offline Senior Member

Ugh. I feel exactly like you. When Abbey was attacked, someone asked if it was a pit bull. That's sad that everyone believes and listens to every word that's printed in the papers or said on the news, making a lot of breeds out to be something the majority aren't. Personally, I think pit bulls and rotties, when properly raised and socialized, can be just as sweet and adoring as Labs. A lot of it depends on their environment and how they are raised. Not to say that there aren't exceptions, because some people breed dogs without good temperaments.

I don't know if I could have held it in like that. I guess the woman meant well, but she didn't really know what the situation was and she sure doesn't know your dogs. Or you. I wish stopping fights was as easy as "no," but honestly, that does not always work!

I know Justine! That really frustrates the heck out of me. I just want to say, "Um, you know, Pit Bulls are not the only dogs that ever get into fights." And "no" absolutely does not work when something just ignites at a moment's notice.

To be fair, I guess, I wouldn't have understood this at all when we had Crash.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

ALL dogs are "capable" of being in a fight. No breed has the monopoly. Did you know that labs were in the top of the list of statistics for dog bites...of humans; not other dogs.
    Connie's dogs and my dogs are rescues and we have no idea of their history. But ALL dogs are capable of fighting. They are dogs....no matter how much we love them, sleep with them, baby them....they are animals.
    My dogs are on their best behavior when I am on mine...and when I am following all the rules I have set for them. When I don't, things get out of control.
    And lately, I've wondered if I can even control myself...let alone my dogs......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast