Keeping the boys separated
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the boys separated

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultKeeping the boys separated

So, we have been keeping Angus and Simon separated for now. We'd like Angus to recover a little more before we try them together. He's still kind of vulnerable right now, or so it would seem to me, and I just worry about those stories you hear about the stronger attacking the weaker.

Anyway...this is no way to live, I can tell you that. Angus is in our bedroom and we have Simon out right now.

I can't help but feel a little miffed at Simon. I just want to be with Angus. I know I shouldn't feel this way, as they are both equally to blame (probably Angus more than Simon, actually). But what can I do? Angus looks so sad. His eye still looks really bad, and he has so many little wounds. Oh...we had a thread here a couple of weeks ago where people were talking about the merits of Vitamin E for healing scars (Maybe in one of Cappy's threads?). I've been putting E on his face, hoping that will help them heal up and not leave horrible marks.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, because I really need to dote on Angus a little more right now. But, if you believe that you should honor the one who emerged as "dominant," I'm doing this exactly backwards by paying too much attention to Angus, and probably causing more conflict. But today, for example, when I came home I had to walk Angus to try to get him to poop (he'd been 24 hours). After that, I didn't really have time to play fetch with Simon. The dog sitter came by twice and played with him, but I know that's not the same for him.

Anyway, Simon is out right now, and mostly avoiding me. I'm not being mean to him...just quiet. I feel bad, but I just am not in the mood to interact with him right now. I wish I didn't feel like this, but I do.

This just sucks all the way around.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I think that I would have them in the same room, with leashes on. You have one, Kevin the other.
    That way you can see how they react to each other now.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

georgie is offline Senior Member

Connie, I really don't know what to say except I hope things work out. It must be very stressful for you. (((((HUGS)))))

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry no experience with this but I am praying that it all works out for you and the pups. Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson'n'Ted View Post
    I think that I would have them in the same room, with leashes on. You have one, Kevin the other.
    That way you can see how they react to each other now.
    Maybe we need to do this. I'm kind of scared right now.

I know they would probably be fine. They can see each other through the FL room doors, and it's not like the mere sight of the other one is sending them into a tailspin. But they don't seem in a particular hurry to get together this time, either. It's sort of different this time, somehow. I don't know if I'm imagining it, or projecting, or if it really is.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I can't say I would know what to do in your position as I've never been remotely close, but I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, that you're thinking too much. If Simon and Angus are never together, you can't correct the behaviors. I don't know, though I hate Cesar Millan, I do like that he insists dogs live in the moment. Simon and Angus were generally fine with each other. Something (and you'll probably never know what) caused this.

Doting on one and ignoring or giving a cold shoulder is doing nothing. Simon doesn't understand your behavior and to be honest, its not fair. It could have just have been he landed a few more bites than Angus, but as you say Angus probably instigated.

I'd go back to life as it was, keeping a keen eye and not tolerating the least instability and correct hard the idiot who dares challenge your order.

I think you need to stop feeling sorry for Angus. That is what will make him the weak link, and possibly spark another fight. Just my 2cents, wanted or unwanted.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Connie, I have to say I agree with Melissa that it's probably not good for either of them for you to feel sorry for Angus. Of course, you feel the way you feel, and we can't always control that. But if you baby him I suppose it could exacerbate a problem. I would keep it light and happy and chipper--I noticed that when Theo was attacked, that was the best thing for his mood and his buoyancy.

About Vitamin E--I had read that you shouldn't use it until the scab falls off, because it can delay wound healing. See http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index..../bc/160706.htm.

Guys, thank you. I understand completely and I think you're right. I hope I haven't done too much damage. It is so hard to do something that goes completely against everything you feel. I have felt all along that I shouldn't do things the way I have, but have been powerless to stop myself.

To be clear, it's not that I'm making a huge display over Angus. I've been less verbal with both than usual. But I've not been able to help myself for wanting to keep Angus nearer, and of course I have to check his wounds, give medicine, help him get up those first days, etc. And while I have done this I talk softly to him.

And I've not *completely* ignored Simon either. I have talked to him as well, and spent time petting him. I'm just usually a very warm, demonstrative person with them, and I'm a little less so since. But ever since their last fight, I have made a very conscious effort to keep things as completely equal as possible, right down to time spent, number of treats, etc., with Simon going first in all things. This has upset that balance a bit, and that's what is worrying me.

I think tonight we'll keep them together on leashes as suggested. I need to think about how to frame this re-introduction. I guess happy, very happy, look how great everything suddenly is because you two are together again?

Oh, and Nathan, thank you for the heads-up about the Vit E!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good luck tonight Connie, I hope it goes smooth as silk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast