Kongs...

Thread: Kongs...

jägermonster is offline Junior Member

DefaultKongs...

I was just wondering if any of you feed your dogs their meals out of kongs (or similar 'interactive toys')?

I was thinking it might be a way to make meal times a little more challenging, and slow down the time it takes him to eat his meal. He doesn't seem too bad at eating ridiculously fast, but he gets the hiccups after every meal and I'm getting tired of being so darn worried about them.

Anyways, just an interesting epiphany I had today...I think I need to hang out with someone with two legs soon or I'm going to end up being thought of as 'that crazy dog lady.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I gave Caleb his dinner frozen in one of his Kongs the night he came home from being neutered.

justine is offline Senior Member

You could do that, or even feeding him some of his meals for "treats" for doing training - that would slow him down, too. You could put some of his kibble in Kongs with a little bit of unsweetened apple sauce or plain nonfat yogurt and throw it in the freezer - it lasts even longer! Abbey figured out the science of getting everything out of it, but if it's frozen, it takes her a while.

If you are worried about hiccuping and eating too fast, you could look into the BrakeFast bowl. You could also try adding water to his food (but don't let it sit and get mushy) - it helps to prevent them from going and chugging a whole bowl of water, like my Kolby will do, thus helping to prevent bloat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

montoya's is offline Senior Member

Meekah used to inhale her food, would not chew it at all just grab and swallow. I switched to a slow down bowl and it has worked wonders. the bowl has several divisions in it in which pup must work around to get to the food, thusly slowing her down enough to chew it. I was using two tennis balls in her food dish to accomplish the same thing.

jägermonster is offline Junior Member

thanks for the suggestions, i'll definitely have to look into those bowls. he isnt too bad, but he hiccups every time he eats, so it just has me worried. i'd rather be overly cautious then have something horrible happen. thanks again!!!

joflake is offline Senior Member

Ours get a peanut butter and biscuit kong in the morning when we leave for work. That's after their oatmeal and milk. Hubby got into the habit of letting them finish his bowl. Now if he eats something else for breakfast, he makes them their own oatmeal.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Just thought I'd point out that dogs are NOT CHEWERS. They don't have the teeth to chew. Their teeth are designed to rip and then they swallow. They don't have flat surfaces on their molars that allow chewing. So it is not necessary for your dog to chew it's food. Dog's are designed to gulp their food down.