Angus Update Wednesday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angus Update Wednesday

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus Update Wednesday

Angus was acting even better this morning. The anesthesia finally got out of his system, so he is better able to get up and move around and looking a little more peppy.

The swelling has gone down a bit in his eye, but I can still see a lot of red underneath. They gave us an antibiotic cream to use 2x a day. I called this morning and asked them how confident they were that his eye was really going to be OK, or do I need to make an appt with an ophthalmologist. They reassured me if she had seen anything even slightly worrisome she would have arranged an appt for me. So, I guess I'm trusting. The whole eye thing really freaks me out.

I feel like I'm the one who was in a fight. I'm so tired, mentally and physically. Worrying a lot about what this means for our future, and what is the best way to handle it. Our behaviorist is coming over not this Friday but next, but I sure wish it was sooner.

Kevin has been a rock, and a great cheerleader. I've been going to some dark places, and he keeps telling me we've worked through this once, and we can do it again.

Right now it's all a little overwhelming. Maybe in a few days I will be more rested and able to think through some kind of plan. I feel like there are so many things that need to be revisited...NILIF, working specifically with some of Simon's demanding behavior (he has become a bit sassy lately, and this needs addressing), where do we keep them during the day (Separated? Who goes where?), emergency plans in case it happens again (how do we stop it as quickly as possible before any serious damage occurs), what are the ways we can greatly eliminate the chances of it happening again, do we need to do specific behavioral training geared towards making being around each other a rewarding experience...and on and on and on.

I'm all ears for any wise advice or suggestions on any of the above, if anyone feels like helping me think through some of these things. Thanks you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Connie, I wish I had some advice to give you regarding the behavior but that's way out of my league and I haven't experienced anything remotely similar. But I'm glad that Angus is starting to feel better. I understand the worry about the eye, and I think that if it would put your mind at rest, maybe you should arrange to see an opthamologist anyway - the least that happens is they confirm your vet's original diagnosis and you're out of pocket some money. It will only hurt in the pocketbook, and that might be worth the cost.

Also, try not to let this wear you completely down. As Kevin said, you've dealt with it before, and you'll manage to cope with it again this time around. Try to take a bit of time for yourself and do something to refresh/distract yourself. You'll be your most helpful to the boys when you're at your best so try to do something to take your mind off this for a bit. It really will help you find a bit of clarity. Good luck.

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this again. My Abbey and my parents dog, Sasha, have gone at it twice.. and it scares the crap out of me every time. And Abbey was attacked at the dog park just a few months ago, which is still fresh in my mind.

One thing that scares the crap out of both of the dogs is the sound of a rolled up newspaper hitting something (like the table/wall, NOT the dog). It's loud enough to stop them from playing, running, etc, but I've never done it to break up a fight. I've heard someone use those little kids' big baseball bats that are plastic and kind of thick and hollow at the end, so they make a loud noise when you hit them on something, too.

I had an article somewhere about it.. let me see if I can find it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Do you have any more information on what was happening when the fight started? Was your Dad in the kitchen? Preparing food? Getting toys? At the door?

Try not to beat yourself up about it, I know that's hard though

ETA: When I worked at a daycare we have really shrill whistles hanging in various spots. Worked like a charm when fights broke out. So did water dumped on them.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

connie, i think you have been the best dog owner those boys are lucky to have you. they normally play together and generally enjoy each other's company, right? sounds like they might have just had an off day or maybe a miscommunication that led to the fight. if there is a deeper problem in their relationship, i say let the behaviorist help you determine if that is the case.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear Angus is on the mend.

Sorry you have to wait so long before you can meet with the behaviorist. Was she able to give you any advice over the phone to tide you over?

Hang in there. You'll work it out. Keep us posted.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

TT, good advice (as always). I have the Lawn & Garden show coming up this weekend. I think that will be a very welcome distraction for a few hours.

I actually have an air horn and a citronella spray. I've had them since the last fight and never had to use them. The last time I cleaned the kitchen I put them in the boys' cabinet because I thought, "Eh, I don't need these anymore." See what happens when you think you don't need something anymore? Grr. Anyway, I did keep them so they're coming back out. But Dad wouldn't have known about them or what to do with them.

He really should have known better than to go over there by himself. I know his heart was in the right place, but he should know that there is a reason I am so particular about who goes over and what order things are done in. I think he knew, but just really had no concept of why. He did try pouring water on them, but it didn't even slow them down (and it didn't for me last time either).

I found a great list in one of my books about safe ways to break up a dog fight. I think I will post it on the refrigerator, just in case someone's mind freezes. Another method I've never tried but I think sounds good is throwing a blanket over them. Always worked for Steve Irwin.

Sunjin, thank you. They do normally get along OK. It's hard for me to gauge how much they really enjoy being around each other, though. They do play bitey face and chase around the yard. It gets loud and rough sometimes, but doesn't seem to be out of sync with what I hear from others of you with multiple dogs. One thing that bothers me: When we leave the house, they don't hang out together. Without fail, Angus goes upstairs and Simon stays downstairs. Another thing that I sometimes wonder about: Simon follows us into the bedroom at night, but Angus won't come in until much later, after Simon's asleep. Why? Simon also "stalks" Angus a lot, and guards me from him. It is definitely my bad for allowing this, and I intend to make great changes on this front.

The behaviorist didn't really tell me much on the phone, but just said to call if I need her before then. I think I'm still trying to get my head around exactly what it is that I need before I just call and whine without any purpose. LOL I feel like I need to make a list of questions, but it is all so overwhelming still.

The dog sitter went over this morning, I went over for lunch just now and the dog sitter is coming back this afternoon. Angus had not pooped in 24 hours, but I took him on a long walk at lunch and finally we have poo. Yay for poo!

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I'm also glad to hear that Angus is feeling better.
    Please try and stay relaxed, somehow it will work out, you've just go to believe that. I tend to obsess about situations like this too, but all you'll do is wear yourself down, and then you'll be of no help, so stay calm, and just hang in there! You're in my prayers.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Quote Originally Posted by MNLab View Post
    I'm also glad to hear that Angus is feeling better.
    Please try and stay relaxed, somehow it will work out, you've just go to believe that. I tend to obsess about situations like this too, but all you'll do is wear yourself down, and then you'll be of no help, so stay calm, and just hang in there! You're in my prayers.
    Thanks Chantel. Obsess should have been my middle name. LOL I will chant, "It will work out, it will work out."

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad Angus is better today. I can't help thinking it wouldn't have happened if you were there. Your father doesn't know them like you do and maybe there's something he missed. I know how much you love those boys, and with input from the behaviorist, you will get this situation under control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast