Buddy's Therapy Training Continues

Thread: Buddy's Therapy Training Continues

lsteigerwalt is offline Junior Member

DefaultBuddy's Therapy Training Continues

Yesterday was interesting to say the least. My wife and I were outside working in our backyard on our Gardens when we heard what seemed to be a cow bell coming down the street. Upon looking in the direction of the noise it turned out to be a large black labish dog dragging a logging chain and a huge spike attached to it. (An escapee) I called for the dog as he was running towards the highway. He stopped, turned towards us, and started running at full speed. I quickly noticed he was coming with the intent of doing harm and was thankful for the fence we just installed. My little dogs picked up on the agression as quick as I did and started barking and growling. The dog never stopped and hit the fence at a full run. It buckled but did not give. The dog shook himself off and stood there grownling and frothing at the mouth. Buddy approached him and began growling with his hair standing. I took this as an opportunity for a training session and walked to him and placed my hand on his back telling him it was ok. Too my surprise he quickly stopped growling. As I walked away I called him and he came without hesitation. I was very impressed with his self control in the face of aggression. I hope he continues at this pace!!! More to come...

Leroy a.k.a. Buddy's Dad
    Our Boy Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

"large black labish dog dragging a logging chain and a huge spike attached to it. (An escapee) I called for the dog as he was running towards the highway. He stopped, turned towards us, and started running at full speed. I quickly noticed he was coming with the intent of doing harm and was thankful for the fence we just installed" HOLY SHIT!

Good boy Buddy! I'll be interested to know where and why this dog escaped.

LOL!!! Well, unfortunately I wasnt the smartest man in the world (the words my wife used at the time,lol)and felt the need to help this dog. So, I exited the fence and approached him as he was still growling and frothing at the mouth, grabbed his "logging" chain and started walking him down the road. I was thinking of the dog whisperer and his posture as I walked him down the road hoping that what I saw him do I could imitate well enough not to get bit. All went well for the first 5 minutes as we walked towards the direction he came from. Then he started getting pretty angry towards me so I quickly tied his chain to a power pole and tried walking away. He didnt like that idea and tried grabbing my leg! Luckily I got away without a scratch. I was hoping the owner would see him and pick him up on the way home. No such luck..he was still there at 10pm so I called the sherrifs dept and reported the incident. This morning he was still there so I called again and they informed me that animal control would be by around 8am. I have been at work all day and will find out if he is gone once I get home. Definetly and adventure,lol.
    Our Boy Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Scary..Good boy Buddy

Just figured I would give a quick update. Buddy is currently sitting on command about 90% of the time by voice and 50% by hand. He is progressing well. This morning I started the stay command with hand motion after asking him to sit. I slowly walked backwards talking to him the entire time. I only got 5 steps away before he moved,lol. Gotta start somewhere right? So I had him sit again and walked 3 steps back and then returned to him and gave him a treat for staying. Next time I had him sit and stay and walked 6 steps back and returned to give him a treat. Hope to get to 10 steps this evening....Wish us luck. He is such a good boy!!!

Leroy p.s. Am I doing this right?
    Our Boy Buddy

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

It sounds like he adopted you as much as you adopted him Good boy Buddy!!
    Seems like your training is what I and Saba got at obedience school. Gradually we made it longer, and then from time to time reward was words and petting instead of treats - switching from time to time so he knows it's not all about the food.

Cool...after he gets to the point where I can turn my back on him and walk away for at least 20 steps and back then I will start teaching the down command along with hand signals. He is a very smart boy...and yes I think i was chosen instead of me choosing to adopt him,lol. We enjoy fishing together.

Leroy
    Our Boy Buddy