Allergy???

Thread: Allergy???

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultAllergy???

Dee's eyes has been watering a bit for the past few days; nothing major and they didn't appear red at all. Well yesterday one eye started to look far more irritated and quite blood shot. This same (or similar) thing happened twice in 2008 (except it started with the opposite eye). First time was in the Spring 2008. My Vet checked out the eye and thought she may have a minor scratch after examining it. He did mention that the pressure in that eye was a little low, but that that wasn't surprising (or worrying) because the irritation could affect it. We treated with an antibiotic ointment (which also contained a steroid I think) and that seemed to clear it up, but then the other eye started with the same issue which made me wonder if the problem was really due to a minor scratch. Why would it affect both eyes if it was a scratch? Anyway we treated the other eye with the same ointment as well, but a few days after discontinueing treatment the first eye started to act up again. This time he tried some drops which apparently have a stronger steroid component and thankfully they seemed to do the trick. Next time this happened was in the Fall 2008 and again one eye (same eye) was worse than the other. Back to the Vet. My regular vet was away, so we saw a locum. She was fairly convinced that it was all down to allergies and did a couple of tests to check the pressure (which she said was fine this time) and also did a test which I think was called a fluorescein test. (put some drops in and then examined her eyes with an instrument). We ended up using the same drops that worked in April and this eventually cleared the issue up again. When I went for a re-check my regular vet was back and basically he just figured it was down to an allergen/irritant. No problems at all with her eyes in 2009.

So I'm off along to the Vet this afternoon to get this checked out and to get something to clear it up. She is having some (not a lot at this point) yellowy discharge from the one eye (which by the way is the opposite eye to the eye that was the worst in 2008). The other eye looks okay at the moment, but has watered a bit on and off this week. I really doubt she has injured the eye, though they'll likely check this out again before prescribing anything.

Does anyone else have occasional issues like this with their dogs eyes? Dee doesn't normally have runny eyes at all and seasonal allergies does kind of make sense. If it is down to allergies I wonder why it didn't happen prior to 2008 and why she didn't have any episodes in Spring or Fall 2009.??? Also I wouldn't have thought that Fall was a big season for allergies, but maybe I'm wrong.

TIA for any input.

Just wanted to add....The first time with this eye problem (Spring 2008) the eye was extremely blood shot with discharge. I woudn't have thought that allergy could make an eye appear infected, but with the discharge it makes you wonder. It wasn't as bad in Fall 2008 ....maybe because I was constantly watching for a reoccurence and took action so quickly.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 02-13-2010 at 02:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wow, not one reply. I guess eye issues (possibly caused by allergy) must not be very common. I just got back from the vet. I've been given the same drops as before, so hopefully they will fix the problem. The vet also put drops in her eyes I guess to check for scratches, but seemed to think it was exactly the same thing as before.....over a year ago. My usual vet is away for a week and he had someone filling in. She seemed very rushed.

There is nothing new in our house or our yard. No new bedding, no new flooring, no new dust! She asked about our furnace, but nothing is new with that either. Can't think of a thing that's new or that comes and goes that could be causing this allergy?/irritation.....assuming it's the same problem as before (which it likely is).

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Do you have any other animals in the house?
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I wonder if there is any chance dogs can suffer like humans do from dry eye? I know that occasionally my eyes will flare up...especially if I am out in the wind for a prolonged period of time. My eyes will tear like crazy. It does seem strange that someone with dry eyes would have excess tears but apparently is one of the most common signs of dry eyes. Just a thought since it is not happening all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post
    Do you have any other animals in the house?
    No, no other animals in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by hark67 View Post
    I wonder if there is any chance dogs can suffer like humans do from dry eye? I know that occasionally my eyes will flare up...especially if I am out in the wind for a prolonged period of time. My eyes will tear like crazy. It does seem strange that someone with dry eyes would have excess tears but apparently is one of the most common signs of dry eyes. Just a thought since it is not happening all the time.
    I'm clueless as to what could be causing this. It doesn't seem to have any pattern. She's now had it in the Spring, Fall, and Winter.......or at least the three episodes seem the same. She went well over a year without having any problems, and didn't start having the problem at all until she was past three. Never had runny eyes before that first time in 2008. She does seem to have some allergies. She had yeasty ears as a pup. I still have to keep a close eye on them and use cleaner when they look iffy, but they're pretty good as long as I do that. She chews and licks her feet; which we also pretty much keep under control by watching her and using cream on them when necessary. All in all her skin is great. She's never had a hot spot (touch wood) or any problem with her skin for the most part. She does rub her chin on the carpet and I use cream on that too at times. A few weeks ago she had the head swelling/hives reaction to something. Still no clue what.....just hope it was a one off. The eyes thing doesn't seem to happen at any particular time of year, and I'm kind of puzzled at an allergy causing her eye(s) to actually get that bad.....and why one eye at a time? Both eyes are watering right now, but one is very minor while the other is really inflamed and a fair bit of discharge. Re dry eyes....I guess anything is possible. We have gas heat and sometimes she looks down at the vent when it comes on, but I think that would be really grasping at straws. I keep trying to think if anything has changed in the house, but nothing has. She's with us all the time. We don't even let her out in the yard on her own.