Just Labradors banner

Swallowed it! Thoughts please

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SmokeyMokaMountain 
#1 ·
So against our better judgement I decided to let Moka have one of these Hartz Dental Chips he got as a gift at christmas. We were going to throw them out as they are rawhide but for some reason it never happened. Fast forwarded to yesterday I decided to let him try one out. Supervise like a hawk I tell myself! All goes great for an hour or so. I then see it hanging out of his mouth all soft and rubbery like. So I grab it and its like a soft towel. Oh he wants it back so bad. Stupid me, never having given rawhide to our last dog I had no idea that I probably shouldn't give it back like this. So I give it back and before I could even second guess my actions GULP its gone. It was a 3 x 3 piece when it started but it was quite smaller at last glance.

Now he has not had any change in his activity or playfullness but he has had diahrea ever since. Last night's poop was completely watery. Today they have been soft but not water at least. He didn't eat about 1/4 of his cup and a half at supper but ate his full breakfast today. He has gone poop 3 times in 2 hours now with only the first one being soft and the next two being more watery.

I will be calling the vet and seeing if I can get in first thing monday morning. Unless things get progressivly worse within the next day, I will have to try and find an emergency vet in the area. We are praying his little stomach is just upset from it hence the diahrea and it will pass or digest.

Has anyone ever had any bad experiences like this? Will this piece digest?
Regardless of the outcome of this it will be the last rawhide/chew toy that he will ever get from us that can fit in his mouth.

See less See more
#3 ·
In my experience with my dogs, it will pass but probably not before it has made your life miserable. Just keep a close eye on him and watch for any unusual
behavior or signs of distress. If you do spot some distress then a trip to the E vet will be in order.

#4 ·
Ok thanks. Keep the thoughts and experiences coming please. There have been no real changes in behaviour or signs of distress. No vomiting as of yet either. This was yesterday around 11 a.m. so we have gone over 24 hours with none of those signs so far. Just the diahrea. And yes this is making us miserable! I can't help think how stupid I am for not taking it away when I had it in my hand!!!!

#10 ·
I wouldn't feed him today and let the gut rest. No sense giving the diarrhea more fuel, so to speak. Tomorrow you can start him off with some boiled chicken/hamburger and rice for a day or two before you start adding his regular food back. Rest that gut!

#5 ·
3x3, but quite a bit smaller. You also said it was soft. Really soft, gooey? Was it swollen like a sponge had taken up water. If those answers are yes, it will probably pass. Watch the poop for it coming out the other end. Assuming he poops twice a day, just watch to make sure that continues.

The primary danger with rawhide causing a blockage is with aa dog that swallows a large chunk, maybe rolled up chunk, when it is still dry and hard. Once inside it will swell and that is when the problem is more likely to occur.

Good thoughts, and hope you see it come out soon. HKs cycle time is about 24 hours. Oh! Maybe you didn't know that I have had reasons to record that type of information. I portray her as an angel, but she isn't.

#6 ·
It started out as a 3 x 3 piece and I know it was smaller than that when I grabbed it. Not sure how much but it was at least 2 x2 or smaller at that point. Which still seemed big to me.

Anyways he has still pooped regularly except for diahrea and just now. He normally does not go for a poop at this time but only out to pee. When I heard him whining and came to let him out he had already pooped once by the door and then went again outside. Nothing but runny mess. I hope it works its way through. On a side note he did come back in and try to jump around and play like he normally tries to do at this hour LOL. I sat with him for a few mins and back to sleep he went. No vomitting and no signs of any distress so far and we are now 36 hours or so in since he swallowed it.

#12 ·
Hmm that makes sense. Of course I just saw this now and have already fed him breakfast. He ate it but it did take him a little longer than usual. I am going to skip his supper and let it rest for the rest of the day. Please keep posting with these great suggestions and thoughts. We really appreciate it! I will keep this updated.

edit: I should also add that his morning poop was soft but much more solid than the watery ones he had overnight.

#13 ·
Well today went really well. He had 2 (his normal amount) solid poops. No problem passing them and he was sure hungry today. He seems to be doing fine! We are quite a bit more relieved. However he did not pass the piece he swallowed. I wonder if it digested. Gonna keep watching for it but it has now been over 72 hours and no sign of it.

Thanks again for the encouraging thoughts and opinions with this experience. Greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.