Lab color and preference- just curious
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lab color and preference- just curious

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultLab color and preference- just curious

So for those folks who just have certain colors of labs, black, yellow, chocolate- and prefer not to have others, blacks vs. chocolates, yellows vs. black - no chocolate at all, etc.... Is it just a personal preference, or is there something more to it. It's slow around here, and Im just curious-
    As for me, I had a black lab as a child, Sammi being chocolate, is my first as an adult. I probably will always have a chocolate pup, but would love to some day have one of each. Since our next one will be a rescue it will depend on what is available, but I really have no preference. I think they are all adorable, and since I've read nothing reliable on color and temperament would never chose a certain color for that reason. Any who, just thought I would throw it out there

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sedona is offline Senior Member

I have a beautiful yellow girl and will be bringing my other beautiful yellow girl home in 4 weeks. In my case all girls in both litters were yellow. I have had a black lab/pitbull mix and she was a really beautiful girl. I really have no preference; I think all lab colors are great. My husband actually did prefer another yellow girl, but he would have been happy with a black too. I know some people prefer one color over the other, just their preference I guess.

Isn't it great to have a sister

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

My husband wanted a dog. I wanted a lab. He wanted a chocolate. That's how we eneded up with Toby. Chamois is a rescue, and I suppose we nominally had a choice between her and a couple of sisters that were also going to foster homes that night (I did the transport for the rescue group so saw them before the other families that were taking them in). But we really picked her on temperament - and of course need, since we were essentially doing an emergency foster (a "foster" situation that lasted all of about 5 nanoseconds before we officially adopted her).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Well Abbey was in the shelter and I saw her and that was the end of that. There weren't any other siblings from that litter in with her, so I'm not sure if there were other colors or anything like that.

I rescued Kolby from a very small rescue organization in Michigan. I found him on Petfinder when I searched Labrador Retrievers.. I thought he was cute and his story is what really got me, but he could have been black or yellow - wouldn't have mattered to me!

Rodarbal is offline Senior Member

Well I grew up with a black female lab that lived next door....she would jump the fence and hang out with us all day...I have one of each but I have told my husband I will always have a black female...I just have a special spot for them in my heart

...LUKE.........JOSIE.........HUCK...

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I prefer yellow, but wouldn't pass up the right black. Ken, OTOH, is sold on yellows.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I've always preferred black horses, dogs, and cats. Then Shadow found us. When we lost her, I wanted a yellow because I was afraid I would expect another black Lab to be like Shadow and I knew that wasn't possible. But, after looking at several Labs at the rescue in Lexington, Buddy just seemed like the 'right one.'

Champ was a failed foster. Bill loved his picture, and when we met the big goog, he was such a sweetheart and hit it off so well with Buddy, it was like instant acceptance.

But I want a black pup just like Jakey!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

personal preference. I like male dogs (absolutely no real reason for this, just...personal prefrence!). And to be honest, i love the color brown. I said my first dog would be a chocolate male and that is what I got (the joys of going the rescue route and being ready to wait!) it is all about esthetics nothing about personality.

I want a yeller again, and more chocos. But I know that when I go the breeder route personality and fit will be more important so...I will go with the pup in that case.

Just like when I get a cattle dog I love the blue heeler and with a (double preferably) mask so I will likely wait that one out too - to get the right mix of personality and "look"
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
    Well I grew up with a black female lab that lived next door....she would jump the fence and hang out with us all day...I have one of each but I have told my husband I will always have a black female...I just have a special spot for them in my heart
    I might have to steal your photo to start setting the path, DH will need some pushing to have two pup's let alone three Don't get me wrong he absolutly adores Sammi, but he grew up in a "one" dog home, and never had a bigger dog, the thought of more then one of Sammi around overwhelms him

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm building my wardrobe around beigh so the dog hair won't show.

But seriously, I think a preference of color and sex is subconsciously about trying to hold on to a lost heart dog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast