PANO??

Thread: PANO??

DefaultPANO??

My choc lab is 6 months old and has been limping on his legs switching from one to the other. We found out he has pano and now he is on calcium supp and aspirin. I want to know if anyone has additional info about it. Should i switch off of puppy food and what brand should i use. I was told Purina adult formula for large breeds but im sure there is something better for him. Any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Our dog Java had pano when she was 5 months old too. She was growing too quickly (5 months, 55 lbs)We started her on a Vitamin C supplement (Calcium??? Seems wrong to me...you don't want more calcium for a pup with pano..you want their bones to slow down, not speed up). We also switched her to an adult large breed dog food. She was on Eukanuba large breed puppy, so we switched to Euk Adult large breed. It took a couple of weeks, but the limping and pano got better on just that (no meds). She's a year old now and perfect!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes I would have him off of puppy food to an adult. I would do the ProPlan adult chicken and rice, not the shreds and not the LB food. I also wouldn't give him any calcium supplement. Some recommend megadoses of vitamin C but I've not had pano since I quit feeding a LB puppy food so I haven't done the vitamin C in awhile.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would not be giving calcium to a pup. Did your vet recommend this? Also bufferin is safer than aspirin.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Misha had pano as a pup, it took a looong time to heal and in her case the limping was always on the left arm. Rest of her limbs never got bad. Vet prescribed some Rimadyl only when she looked in pain, and let her grow out of it. Not all dogs tolerate Rimadyl so I don´t recommend giving it without consent of your vet.

It went away but took a looong time (more than 6 months). Pano can be observed through X-rays very easy

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Aspirin and rest.