TPLO CCL Repair
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPLO CCL Repair

Manteo's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTPLO CCL Repair

Those of you that have chosen this option for your lab-

Any regrets, complications, long term issues? Manteo is scheduled for TPLO at Ohio State University, and Traditional Repair at a very good local ortho surgeon. We will cxl one of the appointments once we decide. She is a very high energy lab and we are trying to make the best decision for her. Our vet keeps pushing traditional. We made him call OSU and describe the history of her injury, and the surgeon there said that TPLO would be better for her. I have been on the Orthodog yahoo group, but I thought I would check here since most of you seem to be going with TPLO.

Thanks,

Cheri

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Thankfully, I have never been there with any of my dogs, but I was with a friend who took her older golden to a very good ortho surgeon who described the differences in the surgery, made a recommendation, and she chose TPLO. The surgery was very successful. If I were you, I would consult with the OSU ortho vet and get all the info you need for the best route for Manteo taking into account her age and activity level. Good luck and please keep us posted.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Our middle beagle had TPLO surgery on both legs (about a year or so apart). The hardest thing was keeping him inactive post surgery. He spent a lot of time in a playpen in the living room. One long term thing I have noticed is that when it is really cold or damp (now keep in mind I'm in No. California so really cold for us is the low 30's) or he has been really running a lot at the dog park he starts limping. It only lasts a couple days. The only other long term is a very sloppy sit and when he lays down he keeps his legs straight along his sides. It looks very uncomfortable but it doesnt seem to bother him.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum had traditional surgery when she was five years old. She was competing in agility. We took half a year off and she went back to the agility field and completed a bunch of titles before we retired her. She is nine years old now and a bit stiff but otherwise runs and plays every morning with her brothers. She had one knee done. I have heard that with TPLO they will often blow out the other knee after the surgery because the angle is changed so dramatically on the surgical leg, it effects the other leg. But I haven't had that issue so all I can do is tell you what I've heard.

Good luck with your surgery.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

We have an Ortho vet in our area that runs agility with Flat coats. I have talked to her about the TPLO and she says that it has very good outcomes for performance dogs. There are a couple of agility dogs that are back running agility after having that repair done.
    This isthe one time I would want the best surgeon to do the surgery though, because this is a very technical type of surgery, the X-rays have to be done perfectly so the measurements can be made accurately and then there is alot of measurements done while in surgery. The agility people from Southern Calif, tend to drive to the one surgeon in Pheonix AZ for the surgery, an 8 hour trip one way.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I have heard that with TPLO they will often blow out the other knee after the surgery because the angle is changed so dramatically on the surgical leg, it effects the other leg.
    I have also heard that as well. I've never experienced it first hand, but the vet I work for does a lot of orthopedic surgery, so I've seen the outcomes. Of course there are pros and cons for all types of surgery, so you just have to find the one that's best for you, which is not always easy.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision and that whatever surgery you choose is complication-free and successful!

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

We had both legs done - no issues except recently with below zero weather. I think the plates got too cold and Tank could not walk. But then again he is 11 1/2
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

the black lab in my siggy pic will be 10 weeks post op tomorrow.
    i rescued him at the beginning of sept. with a broken leg (left leg) that had to be surgically repaired. 6 weeks into that healing he tore the acl in his right knee and was in surgery for a TPLO the following week.
    i think it all depends on your dog. i chose TPLO for jax after talking to lab owners/breeders that had it recently done. also his age and activity played a big part. he's only two and very active.
    he healed beautifully. i kept him crated all day while at work; he came out for leash walks to potty and walk around the family room/den area in the evenings and then back in the crate for nighttime.
    i feel very blessed and happy with the outcome of jax's surgery on BOTH legs and am very happy in choosing the TPLO vs. the traditional.
    i went with an ortho surgeon that was new to my area and got a great discount but still expensive. and yes, there is usually a 40% chance they will blow the other knee....

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I have heard that with TPLO they will often blow out the other knee after the surgery because the angle is changed so dramatically on the surgical leg, it effects the other leg.
    Our vet told us he would probably have to have surgery on the other leg (which he did), because of the way he was walking while he was injured. Maybe it's a combination of the two?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

It has been just over a year since Sky's TPLO and she has done just fine. The hard part is the 6 weeks that they can't do anything -but it went by fast and she did fine.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast