Emergency Vet Visit This Morning - Allergic Reaction to ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Vet Visit This Morning - Allergic Reaction to ???

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultEmergency Vet Visit This Morning - Allergic Reaction to ???

I was up really late last night watching TV. Dee went to bed without me. She likes to go at about 10:30. At about 1:00 she wandered into the room where I was watching TV and I noticed above one of her eyes was swollen and the rim all the way around her eye was bright red. The other eye area looked mildly irritated, but not as bad. I immediately thought she must be having an allergic reaction to something. Some of you have posted pics of reactions where your dogs muzzles and heads have looked huge from a reaction to a vaccination or bee sting etc. The swelling over the one eye was obvious but not severe and she seemed fine otherwise. I layed awake all night and kept checking on her....she slept fine. I got up before six to have a really good look, and the initial swelling over her one eye seemed less....however she now had puffy bags under both eyes and her whole muzzle looked somewhat swollen. In addition she had little tufts of fur sticking up all over the top of her head. I'm assuming hives. Still didn't seem to be in any distress....just the swelling. She ate breakfast fine and actually seemed really hungry, so that was a relief. Then a while later everything came back up......actually seemed like about three times what she had for breakfast. She almost never throws up.....maybe two/three times in her five years (and never much), so I thought I better call my Vet and see what he thought. Murphy's Law it had to be on a Sunday. From what I described he thought 99 percent it was a typical allergic reaction to something. Anyway while I was on the phone she threw up again. I was really worried, so we met him at the clinic and he had a look at her, took her temp etc. He gave her a shot of something to settle her stomach and also another to deal with the reaction she was having. (steroid I think) We are back home now. He seemed to think that the shots would do the trick, but it might take 24 to 48 hours for the swelling to go down. Also not to feed her again for about 6 hours and small amounts at a time. Hopefully then all will be well. Certainly no bees around at this time of the year......and a spider bite seems very unlikely. She's with me almost all the time and doesn't even stay in the yard on her own. She went for her usual walk in the usual places yesterday; nothing new that we can think of and she is on a long line, so never out of sight. I'm totally stumped as to what might have caused this! Of course there are plants in the yard and some in the house, but she's never bothered with them. Very frustrating and I'd sure like to know what it was as I'll be worried about it happening again.

Anyway I just wondered with those of you that have had this happen to your dogs:

Did you know what the cause was?
    How long did the swelling last?
    Did your dog throw up?

Any other experiences with this or suggestions.

The Vet said it wasn't unusual for them to vomit with an allergic reaction. She does have some mild allergies, but she has never had a reaction like this to anything.....with the swelling and vomiting. (Her vomit didn't really smell bad, but had a kind of chemically odor) I was concerned that whatever it was might cause other problems, but from what he said her symptoms weren't typical of having eaten something toxic.

She's sleeping now. I think I kept her awake with checking on her every half hour all night.

TIA
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 01-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

Quinn's face became swollen in October a few days before I had planned on taking her to the National. I didn't know what had happened, but she certainly was swelling up. I took her into the ER Vet and they gave her a couple of shots of benedryl and then a low dose of steroid.

I *think* she might have been bitten by a spider, but I don't know for sure.

Molly's face became swollen this week for no apparent reason. She had been bred 8 days before. Her co-owner consulted with me and I agreed that it was best she go into the vet and just tell them that she might be pregnant. They too gave her doses of benedryl. We'll have to see whether or not this interferes in her being pregnant. The vet seemed to think that the embryos might not implant in the uterus due to the stress.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to take much for them to have a reaction. I've never had one vomit though. That would concern me.

Laura

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh wow! What a freaky occurrence. I am sure glad she's doing OK.

It sounds like whatever it was, it was a pretty mild, slow-moving reaction. I remember Linda talking about Zoe having one to a bee sting I believe, and Zoe swelled up like a football and immediately started throwing up, shaking, diarrhea. Those are the ones you really have to worry about...hers was anaphylaxis.

Angus had a reaction like Dee's once. He was having some tummy issues due to [mostly asymptomatic] giardia, and an over-zealous vet decided to give him a "loading dose" (EIGHT pills) of Albon (sulfa-based drug). About an hour after we got home his face started swelling, and he got the little tufts of hair (hives). So, back to the emergency vet since this was after-hours. They tried to tell me it was a spider bite...but he had been IN my lap since he got home. No, no no. Don't think so.

Anyway, they gave him a shot of Benadryl and we watched over the next 10 minutes as everything righted itself again, and he was fine. He was not even a year then, and he's five now...it has never happened again.

He did not throw up. I would have been worried too if Dee is not a, um, thrower-upper. Crash never threw up in all his ten years, until the day he passed away (not from an allergic reaction). Angus, on the other hand, throws up with great regularity.

I hope some of that info helps you figure things out. I think a spider bite seems unlikely too, but that's also the first place the ER vet went, so...?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

Quinn's face became swollen in October a few days before I had planned on taking her to the National. I didn't know what had happened, but she certainly was swelling up. I took her into the ER Vet and they gave her a couple of shots of benedryl and then a low dose of steroid.

I *think* she might have been bitten by a spider, but I don't know for sure.

Molly's face became swollen this week for no apparent reason. She had been bred 8 days before. Her co-owner consulted with me and I agreed that it was best she go into the vet and just tell them that she might be pregnant. They too gave her doses of benedryl. We'll have to see whether or not this interferes in her being pregnant. The vet seemed to think that the embryos might not implant in the uterus due to the stress.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to take much for them to have a reaction. I've never had one vomit though. That would concern me.
    Thanks for replying Laura. The vomiting worried me too, especially as she's so rarely sick. If there was anything bad in her stomach it must have come up because she threw up a lot. It really just looked like the dog food she'd just eaten. I took a sample with me when I headed to the clinic, but not sure if there's much he could check with it. There didn't appear to be any blood. I'm still worried. I'll be worried until the swelling is gone and she's eating fine etc. It wasn't that she was off her food this morning; it just didn't stay down. Though I can't think of what she could possibly have eaten, I highly doubt it was a spider bite and it's too cold for bees etc. I'm truly stumped. As I mentioned before... my Vet said this wasn't the type of reaction that you'd see if (for instance) your dog had eaten a poisonous mushroom. I keep thinking that somehow she must have eaten something to cause this though being as the other possibilities seem so unlikely. Gosh she's right with us about 95% of the time. I've had dogs all my life and this is the first time I've had this problem.

If anything gets worse I'll be back on the phone to the Vet. I think the swelling has gone down a little, but she seems tired. He gave her a steroid shot for the swelling, not benedryl. Not sure why the steroid instead.

I hope things work out okay with Molly.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That must have been scary. I hate when I don't know what causes my girls to be sick. Sending good thoughts she is all better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Oh wow! What a freaky occurrence. I am sure glad she's doing OK.

It sounds like whatever it was, it was a pretty mild, slow-moving reaction. I remember Linda talking about Zoe having one to a bee sting I believe, and Zoe swelled up like a football and immediately started throwing up, shaking, diarrhea. Those are the ones you really have to worry about...hers was anaphylaxis.

Angus had a reaction like Dee's once. He was having some tummy issues due to [mostly asymptomatic] giardia, and an over-zealous vet decided to give him a "loading dose" (EIGHT pills) of Albon (sulfa-based drug). About an hour after we got home his face started swelling, and he got the little tufts of hair (hives). So, back to the emergency vet since this was after-hours. They tried to tell me it was a spider bite...but he had been IN my lap since he got home. No, no no. Don't think so.

Anyway, they gave him a shot of Benadryl and we watched over the next 10 minutes as everything righted itself again, and he was fine. He was not even a year then, and he's five now...it has never happened again.

He did not throw up. I would have been worried too if Dee is not a, um, thrower-upper. Crash never threw up in all his ten years, until the day he passed away (not from an allergic reaction). Angus, on the other hand, throws up with great regularity.

I hope some of that info helps you figure things out. I think a spider bite seems unlikely too, but that's also the first place the ER vet went, so...?
    Thanks Connie. I kind of went into panic mode when she threw up.....it's so unusual for her, but my Vet said these reactions can hit their stomachs. I guess the swelling did come on fairly slowly rather than rapidly. That's got to be a good thing. My biggest worry was that she had eaten something....especially when she started vomiting this morning. All scenarios seem unlikely being as she's hardly ever out of our sight, but something caused this. If she had had a vaccination or drugs of some kind recently (like Angus had when it happened to him) there would be an obvious explanation, but I can't even think of anything new around. When she was a pup I had to watch her like a hawk for picking stuff up, but she hasn't done that for a very long time. I'll check in with the Vet again tomorrow.....or sooner if she seems any worse. I hate it when they're sick.

justine is offline Senior Member

Yikes - that's scary! The only time Abbey had a reaction was to an injectable dewormer (forgot the name of it), but the site of the injection was a big round ball. It happened pretty much instantly, as it's known to happen, so I just icepacked it that night and gave her some Benedryl and she was fine.

Glad she's okay.. I wonder what it could have been.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henery has had his face swell up once (stung by a bee inside his lip) and has had his ears completely swell up like balloons with a rash on his belly (spider bite, we think...). Never vomited though. Each time we went to the e-vet and he got a shot of Benedryl, and then we treated it at home with Benedryl... didn't last more than a few days, though I think the rash on his belly took a while longer to subside.

Good healing thoughts for Dee!!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

When he was a pup, Toby got stung by something (a bee we think) inside his lip and he swelled up like a balloon. Went to the ER because of course it was 6AM on a Sunday, got a steroid shot and was then treated at home with Benadryl. No vomiting, but rapid swelling and hives.

Chamois got stung by a yellowjacket in Libya. I actually saw the dying insect on the ground and carefully pulled out the stinger. Ran into the house to get her a Benadryl which she promptly threw up - along with eveything else she's eaten that day. Violently sick, and it was very worrying, especially since we were in a country with minimal vet care at best and certainly no emergency centers (plus it's a very anti-dog culture but that's another story). All we could do was jam another Benadryl down her and wait. Fortunately, it did the trick but was a tense 12 hours of watching her to see if there's be any further reaction.

She's one of those dogs who throws up when she's in pain or reacting adversely to something, regardless of whether or not it's actually gastrointestinal.

I hope the shots do the trick, good thoughts for you and Dee.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I know, it's so mysterious. Allergic reactions can be that way sometimes, and it just sucks. My aunt was getting hives on her belly and could never figure out why. She finally just started taking an antihistamine daily and it hasn't happened again.

I do think it's good that it went so slowly, but also as you said, worrisome that she threw up with it especially when she's not prone to do so usually.

Well, I know a lot of people have had this happen and then it never happened again, so maybe it was just a freak thing and that's the last you'll ever have to worry about it! I hope so!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast