I'm so sneaky - multitasking with the dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so sneaky - multitasking with the dogs

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm so sneaky - multitasking with the dogs

It's just too bitterly cold to play outdoors with them just now. So, it's indoor retrieves for Seamus and Flynn. Which sends Rusty into a heroic Border Collie frenzy of trying to herd them. That little display is... annoying, but it's what he is made to do.

Soooooooo, I sit in the Wooserie and throw the ball into the bedroom. Over and over and over and over again until one errant throw goes... who knows where?!? Shea and Flynn will not give up the search until they find the ball.

It gives me and the lesser (smaller) dogs a chance to cuddle and talk while the big boys try to find that ball and Rusty is satisfied that the Labs need no further attention from him.

Roll on spring!

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

throwing the ball down the stairs works pretty good when it is too rainy or cold for outside playing

GinnyR is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean about the Cold. BRRRRRRRRR, We have it here also, but I think you have had more snow. Stay warm Nance, and cuddle, it is the only way to stay warm.

Ginny

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    It's just too bitterly cold to play outdoors with them just now. So, it's indoor retrieves for Seamus and Flynn. Which sends Rusty into a heroic Border Collie frenzy of trying to herd them. That little display is... annoying, but it's what he is made to do.

Soooooooo, I sit in the Wooserie and throw the ball into the bedroom. Over and over and over and over again until one errant throw goes... who knows where?!? Shea and Flynn will not give up the search until they find the ball.

It gives me and the lesser (smaller) dogs a chance to cuddle and talk while the big boys try to find that ball and Rusty is satisfied that the Labs need no further attention from him.

Roll on spring!
    Just watch my sig. I'm tracking the days until the first day of spring! May it be here soon

greg is offline Senior Member

ill be happy when spring gets here.jack"s bored with in door fetch.he wants to go out and play.he doesnt seem to care that its all of 11 degrees outside.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's been too blasted cold (near zero F) to XC-ski in our nearby nature preserve and give Puff her daily dose of exercise.

So 3X/day, I bundle up in long johns, insulated bib overalls & boots scarf, down parka, hat & gloves, we go out to the snow packed street in front of the house and I sling Puff's training dummy 10-15X for retrieves and give her a chance to pee & potty.

Then come in and remove the hat & gloves, down parka & scarf, insulated boots & bib overalls.

Key insulated bib overalls: https://www.keyclothes.com/index.php?cPath=108_109

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-09-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: inset link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I don't think that's sneaky, I think it's is smart. Every morning while I'm getting a dresser for work, Blackie likes to do a few indoor retrieves. Yes, my non-retriever is the most driven retriever of all.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Not sneaky, Nance, but smart like a fox. You gotta do what works for your situation. You know what I mean?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Not sneaky, cunning!

I also just fill up Daisy's toy box and she spends hours taking toys, one by one, out of the box, chewing them, and so forth. Once all toys are out, I fill it up again!

She does some retrieves in the house too!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookyduckling View Post
    throwing the ball down the stairs works pretty good when it is too rainy or cold for outside playing
    Especially if you have a dog who will take the ball to the top of the stairs and drop it. No, not Caleb. The first JRT my parents had would take her ball to the "uphill" side of the kitchen (200+ year old farm house) and let it roll down so she could chase it.

Caleb's "bad weather" runs are running from one end of th the hallway upstairs to the other after the laser pointer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast