Those of you with difficult puppies:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those of you with difficult puppies:

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultThose of you with difficult puppies:

Some of you may recall my first postings here when I got Remy 2 years ago. How heartbroken I was after the temperament testing that said he was going to be an independent dog who would want to be on his own a lot. That he was going to be difficult to train. All the work we did with him to get him to bond with us. The crazy biting phase that drew blood and drove me to tears. The whining and insanity that resulted in several training sessions with the breeder and the eventual neutering. The loooooong wait for the maturing process to begin. The hydrogen peroxide always ready at hand for the next theived item. And then...

We started to leave him out of the crate. An hour at first...then while I was at work in the morning. And now...we've been crate free for over a month. He's still always wanted to be on his own though...moving to the couch in the mudroom while we watch tv with Brooklyn snuggled on us in the tv room. Coming upstairs to wish us good night and then returning to the mudroom couch until morning. And now...

I have a shadow. Everywhere I go. Upstairs. Downstairs. At my feet. On my lap on the couch. Or sitting at my feet staring intently at me. Nudging and whining. And kissing. And pushing me over on my side of the bed at night and taking my pillow!!

So for those of you with puppies who are difficult and you just don't think its ever going to change...I am here to prove to you that they do grow up. It just takes time. So keep training and working and loving your pup. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Remy the "Reminator" is proof.

Mama? I sleep here with you?

Mama? I just put my head on your lap while you watch tv?

Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Great post!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

That is all very true!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting. Great job handling your pup.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That is an awesome post, Missy!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

ditto. Jeb was a people-chewer but gradually grew out of it. My arms looked as though I'b been through razorblades until he was bout 1.5-2 years old. Now he is my shadow. It was worth the grief.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Hard work pays off Good job

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear you stuck it out with him, and now all your hard work is paying off!
    Also, gives me hope, Daisy is a bit more independent, kind of snuggles but does not seek it out, so hopefully she turns into snuggle-buddy someday, too!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Wonderful inspirational story! You must be a great dog owner to have brought him around. He is lucky to have someone who did not give up on him! Go you!!!!
    Katie adopted by koko

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Remy's been a team effort. The breeder says the whole litter was slow to mature, but Remy was the beast of the brood. We've taken several different classes with him and everyone at the training school rallied around us. And then the one on one lessons with the breeder were priceless. The neutering made a huge difference, but I'm glad we waited as long as we did for his body to grow.

He's not perfect, but he's a lab. He still steals things and eats things he shouldn't and we have to be vigilant. He still needs a lot of exercise and gets mischievous if we haven't exercised him enough. The hardest part was getting him to bond with us and learn to like being touched. Kibble and treats go a long way folks and now Remy is the master beggar for belly-rubs! To go from so aloof to..well, downright needy has just been so astounding to me I had to post.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast