Shedding. Lots. Need favor, please:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding. Lots. Need favor, please:

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultShedding. Lots. Need favor, please:

For the past few months, Simon has been shedding a lot. More than usual, but I was just cracking it up to not brushing him as often (I usually brush every week, but have not done it every single week lately).

Tonight I was petting him and out came a couple of pretty good-sized clumps. Not handfuls, but a small clump of hair, all together.

So I get out the brush and start brushing him. It's been about a week and a half since I last did. So tonight, I notice that the hair on the back of his legs, the "skirt?" I think it's called, is much thinner/smoother than usual. It's always been a bit puffy back there and no matter how much I brushed, I could never get it to lay straight. Has always bugged me, because it's the one part of his coat I can never get to look like a Flat-Coated (because he is dba as a Flat-Coated, after all).

But tonight, that part looks like a Flat-Coated. Very smooth and straight.

This, combined with the ramped-up shedding and all our skin issues this summer got me worried. So I looked at the back of Angus' legs.

This is where I need the favor:

If you're standing behind your dog, and you draw a line up the middle of the back of his legs, there is an outer part and an inner part. On the inner part, high on the thigh, is the texture of hair there different than on the outer part?

Angus' is, and I need to know if this is normal. Angus' inner upper thighs right now have a very thin, downy coat, like it is all undercoat, but very thin.

Simon's hair doesn't seem noticeably thinner, just a different texture than usual.

We have had a food change in recent months (to Acana Pacifica).

Their skin seems to look fine, and their coats don't have any bald patches (except Simon, where the hair still hasn't grown back in on his feet from the last round of foot issues). Their coats do both seem softer and silkier than usual. Actually, I think Simon looks quite lovely like this...I just want to make sure it's nothing I should be worried about.

I got a referral from my vet today to see the dermatologist about the foot issues. I was going to wait until/if they had another episode, but she stays booked so far in advance it's not likely I would be able to get them in as new patients while they were flaring anyway. So, I thought I'd go ahead and pursue it now, and see if maybe she has ideas. I can take in photos.

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind looking at your dog's back legs and letting me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

ETA: Here's a picture. The right side is the outer leg. See how the left side is kind of thin? You can see pink skin.
    Last edited by AngusFangus; 01-06-2010 at 10:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If you're standing behind your dog, and you draw a line up the middle of the back of his legs, there is an outer part and an inner part. On the inner part, high on the thigh, is the texture of hair there different than on the outer part?
    Yes, the coat to the inner part of their thighs is much thicker and tufts (not Magnum, she has a softer coat and very little undercoat)

Indeed, a change in food CAN effect their coats.

That is probably what you are seeing right now.

OK, you are saying the INNER part is THICKER? Because Angus' inner part on his upper legs is thinner right now.

I should try to take a picture...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I checked both of mine. Teddy has the longer outer hair on the inside, no undercoat. The outside is thicker--both undercoat and the longer outside hair.
    Jefferson has a very short outer coat. The inside of his back legs is much thinner and softer than the outside of the leg.
    Edited to add: both boys seem to have only the outer coat--no undercoat on the inside of their legs. And much less than on the outside.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Connie, this is Remington. You can see the line down the back of his thigh... to the outside his outer hair is longer and smoother, to the inside it is thicker and tufts. Ruger is like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson'n'Ted View Post
    I checked both of mine. Teddy has the longer outer hair on the inside, no undercoat. The outside is thicker--both undercoat and the longer outside hair.
    Jefferson has a very short outer coat. The inside of his back legs is much thinner and softer than the outside of the leg.
    Edited to add: both boys seem to have only the outer coat--no undercoat on the inside of their legs. And much less than on the outside.
    OK, that sounds kind of like what's going on with Angus. Especially Jefferson. Angus' coat is not super long either. Thank you, that helps!

I tried to take a picture but I don't know if it does a very good job of illustrating what I'm talking about. I can't get close enough with this camera. I think Angus wondered why I was taking a picture of the wrong end.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    OK, that sounds kind of like what's going on with Angus. Especially Jefferson. Angus' coat is not super long either. Thank you, that helps!

I tried to take a picture but I don't know if it does a very good job of illustrating what I'm talking about. I can't get close enough with this camera. I think Angus wondered why I was taking a picture of the wrong end.
    I'm sure that Jefferson would not let me get a pic of the inside of his back legs either!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

If you mean "inside" like by their wee... yes the hair is thinner, softer there (well, except Ruger who has a very thick parka around his penis right now, LOL!)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Is he the one that had the surgery? Anesthetic can cause them to drop coats like crazy.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Yes, inside by the "wee." I posted a picture. Off topic: That's a great sig pic Linda!

Angus let me take the picture, but seemed very suspicious of my motives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast