Aggressive Behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive Behavior

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAggressive Behavior

Bailey is getting very aggressive with me and I don't know what to do. She was never aggressive until the last couple days. She has been running around the house and if I am on the couch she will jump, put her paws on the couch and growl, bark and bite at my legs.

Walking the past couple days has been rough. I had training with her and she has been doing so well for months heeling and walking with a loose leash. These past couple days she has been jumping up on me while walking and jumping to bite the leash. I hold the leash at the end with my right hand and then my left hand is holding the leash closer to her body.

I just came in from a painful walk and started crying because I don't know what to do about this sudden aggression. I was sitting on the couch very upset and Bailey comes, sits next to me while on the floor, and puts her paw on my lap and looks at me like "I'm sorry, don't be sad."

She is 9 months...so is this a stage?

I am a teacher so I was off for 2 weeks and then just went back to work on Monday...could this have anything to do with it?

I love Bailey and she has been the perfect dog, but what do I do about this aggressive behavior? I have been so frustrated over the past few days!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

What kind of growling is it?

To me it sounds like she has 9 month old lab puppy syndrome. Keep on top of her and don't allow her to get away with it. If I'm not watching Dozer will bite (pinch) the back of my legs when I'm doing dishes to get my attention and then he does these deep terrible sounding barks and unless corrected he breaks out into a butt tuck in which he tries to bite me on each pass. He is testing me, big time, right now.

Cybil, my other lab, went through a very similar stage, which is the only reason when Dozer started being a jackass I didn't panic.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

lisa is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't panic..sound typical to me. My Gracie still is not that good on the leash. Sometimes she is pretty good other times she behaves like Bailey. I take part of the blame because I know that everything I learned w training requires consistency and sometimes I lack in that dept. Gracie ( 12 months old) was also very mouthy, she still is...but it is def improving. I am sure Bailey will grow into a fine loving dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Hang in there. It sounds like the "teenage phase" and you should get through this. I suspect she's testing you - and her limits. So now is the time to make sure she understands NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free). Don't punish her harshly, but do correct, and do let her know what is OK and what is not. Also, now may be the best time to start making her earn every reward: and train, train, train. She may need as much or more mental stimulation as physical.

Please understand, I'm not suggesting that you don't train or make her behave. But it sounds like she's pushing it hard so you need to up the ante. Sit before meals. Sit before going out the door. Walk nicely on leash or shortened walk. And reward every time she does it right. And if the bite is hard enough to really hurt, you could try the pinch muzzle grab where you wrap a lip around her own teeth and squeeze just enough that she "bites" herself (there are a lot of people here who will disagree with me on that, but it did work for Toby's mouthiness when nothing else did).

But if it's true agression and not just acting out, you should probably have her checked at the vet to make sure there's nothing physical behind the change in behavior.

Meg1230 is offline Senior Member

Thank you!

Labradorable-what you said about Dozer is exactly what Bailey does...I started calling it the "Bailey Blitz" as she gets this sudden burst of energy and runs and tries to bite me everytime she passes as she barks/growls. She has been doing this for a couple weeks. If I understand this is what Dozer does also? They must be similiar because they are pretty much the same age.

I was told if her tail is wagging then it's not true aggression and her tail is wagging full force as she does this. Is this a true statement?

Of course right now she is sitting on my feet as I am on the computer being the perfect angel. She is great most of the time and I am hoping this is just a phase.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    What kind of growling is it?

To me it sounds like she has 9 month old lab puppy syndrome. Keep on top of her and don't allow her to get away with it. If I'm not watching Dozer will bite (pinch) the back of my legs when I'm doing dishes to get my attention and then he does these deep terrible sounding barks and unless corrected he breaks out into a butt tuck in which he tries to bite me on each pass. He is testing me, big time, right now.

Cybil, my other lab, went through a very similar stage, which is the only reason when Dozer started being a jackass I didn't panic.
    Gracie does the but tucking, tag and nip my hand thing when I go to put her leash on sometimes...my neighbors think she is a crazy dog

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Just sounds like she has a lot of pent-up puppy energy to burn off. Give her more exercise. Mine get about 45 minutes of hard play in the field each morning, they get back up to the house and literally collapse and sleep most of the rest of the day

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Teddy was adopted at 8 months. He was very mouthy. Squealing loudly helped. Pushing a toy into his mouth helped. Now at the age of 3 he will run and grab a toy when I come home! He is still very rambunctious, though. He will still growl and bark at me when he wants attention.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1230 View Post
    Thank you!

Labradorable-what you said about Dozer is exactly what Bailey does...I started calling it the "Bailey Blitz" as she gets this sudden burst of energy and runs and tries to bite me everytime she passes as she barks/growls. She has been doing this for a couple weeks. If I understand this is what Dozer does also? They must be similiar because they are pretty much the same age.
    Yes. The "Bailey Blitz" sounds exactly like the "Dozer Dash".
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I will just echo what others have said. It sounds like a case of the terrible teens. Don't worry too much...a lot of this will just pass by. But as Toby's Trix said, don't just sit and wait for it to pass...keep insisting on good behavior and rewarding it.

One bit of advice that helped me a little is, when she gets like this, it is important that you stay very calm. If you become upset and begin to raise your voice and/or flail your arms, you are only adding to the game. Try being a tree. If that doesn't slow it down, leave the room. Wait a few minutes and return. If it's better, praise (quietly, don't want to get her ramped up again). If it's still going on, quietly leave again. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck! It will be fine - this doesn't last forever (although sometimes it seems like it will!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast