What would you do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would you do?

Over the past few years Cappy has developed an increasing number of Lipomas (benign fatty tumors). They've varied in size, shape, feel and "mobility". Two years ago was the last time he had surgery to have a couple removed. They were benign but in the front upper chest near where it meets the lower neck. I had a Setter that had mast cell cancer in that spot that the bulk of which had attached to the base of his windpipe, so I'm especially nervous about any tumors.

We've had each of Cappy's newer or larger ones aspirated at least semi-annually as he goes in for his shots, a dental cleaning or other checkup. They have always been benign fatty tumors.

He has one on his left side that is the size of a large orange, cut in half. It hasn't changed in shape or size for the past 18 months. It's been aspirated as recently as last May and declared benign. It does not impede his movement or cause him any pain when it's handled or if he lays on that side.

He's scheduled for a dental cleaning on Feb 8th. The Vet has now decided that "as long as he'll be under", we should remove it. When I asked why not the other half dozen or so smaller ones ... he seemed a little taken back by my question but replied ... "because they aren't this large". Frankly, I don't think size should be a primary factor ... and I certainly don't want the vet's financial motives to be one either.

I wouldn't do anything to endanger Cappy's health or well being. I check him thoroughly several times each week. Keep in mind that my dawgs are hand washed and dried after every training session or hunt so I examine them for cuts, nicks, or other injuries thoroughly. I guess I just don't want him to have to go through and "unnecessary" surgery, recovery period and return for suture removal later.

Cappy will be Eleven on Friday. If he was your's, would you subject him to the surgery or continue to monitor it as I've been doing?
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 01-05-2010 at 07:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not. I was under the impression that they came back when excised anyway. If it's not bothering him now, I would skip it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum has many of these now as well. I watch them. If they get too big, I will remove them. I have my vet check them when we go in for checkups. She has one on the inside of her thigh that has gotten a bit larger (about ping-pong ball size). I probably will have that removed soon and any other the vet feels need to come off.

I suspect she has one in her foot as her right food is badly misshappen and she is lame on it, but it could very well be arthritis too. I haven't really had that checked out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, generally they don't come back once removed (lipomas).

I asked my vet why some dogs seem more prone to getting them. She says she honestly believes it is genetic. Ruger has one very small one on his ribcage. Magnum literally has dozens of them now.

Wanna know something? I'm sure it's coincidence but Cappy never got one until age 5 and that's just about the time he started getting peanut butter. When I asked the vet about that being a possible link to fatty tumors he said he didn't know but generally doesn't like PB given to dogs anyhow. (Not the answer I wanted to hear)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Well, I'm generally a 'leave it alone' person, but Cappy's 'lump' is exactly where Rhys' primary malignant tumor is. His too was aspirated, twice.

Is it attached to the structures around it, or free floating?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Well, I'm generally a 'leave it alone' person, but Cappy's 'lump' is exactly where Rhys' primary malignant tumor is. His too was aspirated, twice.

Is it attached to the structures around it, or free floating?
    Free floating. I can literally cup it in my hand and slide it almost an inch or more in all directions.

Jim, I'd get that one removed since he's already going to be under.

My dogs eat quite a bit of PB. So I don't think it's the real culprit

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX View Post
    Free floating. I can literally cup it in my hand and slide it almost an inch or more in all directions.
    Then I wouldn't worry about it much. If it bugs you, then remove it. At 11, I'd have a once over of everything...then not much more as they age from there.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Garth is offline Registered Users

Jo had the same thing on his side. It really stands out in my siggy pic. The vet assured me it was nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it. He was never bothered by it so I figured as long as he wasn't showing any evidence of being in pain or biting it, he should be ok.

If the day ever came that it was causing him any distress, that would have been another matter. Fortunately it never did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast