Note From TOTW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note From TOTW

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNote From TOTW

I'm very concerned about what I feed Buddy. With his kidney function problem, I really watch the ingredients. After reading Linda's thread about TOTW, I started looking into it. I contacted TOTW with a couple questions I had. I received this reply from Melissa, a vet with TOTW, concerning their use of ethoyxquin.

Dear Montese,

Taste of the Wild does not add ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT to the formula.

Ethoxyquin is most effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish meal. There is a small supply of ethoxyquin free fish meal available in the United States. However, this is not adequate to meet the supply demands for all pet food manufacturers that use fish meal. Also, the peroxide levels are much higher than we feel comfortable with. Peroxide is an indicator of oxidation. Peroxide can cause vomiting and may even cause damage to vital organs. Ethoxyquin is being used in scientific research as a cancer fighting antioxidant. When present in controlled amounts, it has never been shown to cause harmful effects.

Most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process, requiring other preservatives to be used. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on this product. The results are typically less than 5ppm. This is equivalent to 0.0005% or one half of one one-thousandth’s of a percent. This is a true trace level that many laboratories are unable to detect. The amount allowed, and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm.

Fish meal is an important ingredient that provides quality amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients are important for all aspects of a healthy life, including great skin and coat, control of inflammation and a strong immune system.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

the only thing that steers me away from using this food is that i'm in GA and it comes from their Diamond SC plant that is notorious for all the QA issues. Whenever there is a problem; it seems to always come from that plant.
    I started seeing problems with Kirkland after years of using it, as did my ex with his dogs. Again, the SC plant.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

so are you advocating for the food, or against it Monnie? Just curious.

As for the Diamond issues at the SC plant, it's been several years now since there was a problem. One would hope they have better control processes in place.

The best defense is in your home. If your dog won't eat the food, don't make him. A lot of the dogs that died during the bad food from china scenario, died as a result of continuing to eat the product.

If my dogs don't eat it, I throw it out.

I am currently feeding Taste of the Wild. I'll see how they do on it, but all around I like the product and ingredients and PRICE. My dogs don't have health issues (kidney/liver values are fine) so I am not as concerned as Monnie is about that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I believe Diamond recently had problems again Linda.

Laura

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm kind of neutral right now. I was just passing on the info I'd received when I asked about their use of ethoxyquin. I'm more concerned about the 1.1% phosphorus content.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Searched around on the internet a bit. I have to agree with this post made on a greyhound board...

1. This whole preservative nonsense is just ridiculous. Have you read the ingredients labels on the food YOU eat? There are preservatives everywhere! Another poster has already shown the response from the Taste of the Wild staff explaining (and not denying) the the amount of ethoxyquin that exists in the pacific stream formula - it is practically non existent! COME ON PEOPLE! The FDA has approved the use of aspartame in diet sodas as a sweetener after 7 rejections! IT IS A DEADLY INGREDIENT! Yet we are all still alive. Interesting. So before ridiculing this food because you're an idiot, do some research.

2. Taste of the Wild brand and Diamond brand food is made by the same people. SO WHAT!? Natura makes Innova, Evo, and California Natural. Merrick has their original formulas, but also makes Before Grain. And Iams and Eukanuba are the same company. (Oh sorry, is this a holistic pet food forum exclusively?) Anyway, the point is Taste of the Wild is manufactured in a different plant than Diamond. The recall of Diamond should not scare anyone. Even our precious peanut butter has been recalled, but we still eat it now that it's OK again.
    Seriously, we can beat to death the food topic. Right now I need a grain free food that is cost effective for me. Right now I am choosing to use TOTW. Ideally I would love to feed my dogs Raw all the time, but it won't happen, so between the raw meals they get and TOTW I hope to have healthy dogs. If I find a problem I can certainly switch back to another grain-free product.

All foods have risks attached to them. Consumers have to make their own choices and go from there.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

my ex's dogs got the runs from several bags of the kirkland food. as did a few others i spoke with. around the same time, i had a few bags that smelled really weird. i emailed with them and they said it was the meat...ah yeh...ah huh. then i had senior food kibble mixed in with my regular kibble. emailed about that, too.
    i also had another issue; forget what it was but emailed again and was assured their employee who "missed the QA" would be reprimanded, or whatever...too many emails over too many different problems with different lots of food for my liking.
    i used to be a huge advocate of diamond...and have not heard others in other parts of the country having these same problems. again...i wouldn't feed anything coming out of that SC plant.
    i don't mind paying a little more for food when i feel better in trusting the manufacturer.
    Linda, I am not talking about the China issues or the corn issues...these were other QA problems. I just don't trust that particular plant.

I hear ya, and if I had that many problems I wouldn't use it either, but I am not seeing that kind of problem existing in the TOTW food. I can't find any reports online about it, or anything recent.

I am finding that there are a lot of folks using it with good results.

For now I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I can't find any information that it is manufactured at that Diamond plant. If you can show me that information, I would love to see it. Thanks.

Nevermind, I did find on their website that it is manufactured at one of three plants (one being South Carolina, although they weren't specific on what/where). I contacted them concerning it. I'll see what they say. In the meantime, I will keep my ears peeled for any problems concerning said plant and give the food a try. I can always switch back.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Problems were with Premium Edge
    http://premiumedgepetfood.com/announcements/66/
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast