Is your lab scared of the vet?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your lab scared of the vet?

Melissa is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs your lab scared of the vet?

Kacey is terrified of the vet's office. But then, she's fairly skittish in general. She huddles up as tightly against me as she can, sometimes hiding under the chair, and the vet has to crawl around on the floor - an easy-does-it, don't-worry-I'll-come-to-you approach.

They're very good about it (well, except for the last vet, who's not there anymore, that told Jason we shouldn't let her act that way.) I feel badly, but how DO we keep her from acting that way?

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Both of mine LOVE the vet. The first dogs I have ever had who act like they just arrived at a party when they go to the vet. Wiggle butt, have to go give everyone a hug, get cookies, go see the rescue kitties and get their nose smacked...

Diesel has spent quite a few days there *all day* when his diabetes was not stable so he thinks it's a spa or something.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Nope. So far he's not. He does hate the scale though.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

Buffy is terrified the moment we arrive at the check in counter. Her whole body shakes and her legs tremble like I've never seen before. She tries to hide behind me and under the chairs too.

What's weird is that I took her to a whole new clinic last week and sure enough, she was shaking when we walked in the door. She had never been there before, yet knew it was a "scary place". I keep thinking maybe she smells the illness of the other pets, she's very sensitive the way it is.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

My two LOVE it there. As soon as we get there Bogey is just a big, bouncy, drooling mess....

It might help if you give her treats while your there? Give her something to focus on, she might even learn to like it

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

justine is offline Senior Member

I've never had a problem with Abbey at the vet's - the second she walks in the door she goes into "OMG A PERSON/DOG/CAT/ANIMAL!!!!! AHHH LET'S GO SAY HI!!!!!!" and is a total wiggle butt.

Kolby is good, too.. he just wants attention and pets!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie never minded as a young pup...then she was spayed a 6 months and ever since then she does not like it. It is a struggle to get her in the door and then another struggle to get her in the office. Lola still is little, so far so good.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer loves it, until we get into the actual "room". He is fine in the waiting room, loves seeing all of the other animals and people, loves having his named called, and loves greeting the vet. As soon as we get to the "room" all bets are off. He will put his paws against the door frame trying to stay in the hallway. As soon as we leave the "room", he is fine again.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Nope, I think Sammi thinks it a dog park, she doesn't understand why she cant just go and play

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie hates the vet's office...always has. I remember the first time I took her she pooped & peed on the examining table!!

One time I had to drag her through the door...how embarrassing. She almost got the best of me and the next day my arms hurt. She also expressed her anal glands several times...once on DH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast