NEED GOOD ADVICE ON BRINGING HOME NEW PUPPY AND INTRODUCING TO SEDONA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED GOOD ADVICE ON BRINGING HOME NEW PUPPY AND INTRODUCING TO SEDONA

Sedona is offline Senior Member

DefaultNEED GOOD ADVICE ON BRINGING HOME NEW PUPPY AND INTRODUCING TO SEDONA

My new puppy, Keegan, is now 3 weeks old. I don't know which of the three girls I will be getting yet and will be going to meet them in two weeks. I have read and learned a lot on this forum before I brought my beautiful Sedona home. She is 2 years old and very loved (sounds better than spoiled ). She is a great girl and is disciplined and knows her commands well. I have read advice like feed Sedona first, take her out first, etc. I would really like to know what others have done when bringing a new puppy home. I thought I was ready when I brought Sedona home with the biting/nipping, but OMG she would turn into the devil's spawn in a blink of an eye and that you are not prepared for unless you have been through it. I did survive with many scars to prove it and am prepared this time so hopefully it will go much better. Any advice regarding how to have them meet and just all things in general would be appreciated. I want to be as ready with good advice from other lab owners who have been there and one that - good and bad.

Thanks everyone!

Isn't it great to have a sister

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sorry I don't have anything to add. You've got some great info already. We just always acknowledged sr dog first - treats, dinner, etc.... Oh - and make sure you use the crate to give Sedona some alone/down time.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Be ready with camera. We expect first contact pictures.
    Sedona will welcome her with open arms (paws).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

You might want to introduce them somewhere neutral.

Of course, we didn't do that when we brought Chamois home, just marched with her right into the living room. There were no problems, Toby loved her instantly.

Other than that, I have nothing to add to what you posted already, all of which is good advice. Definitely have a camera ready, though!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wait - you named the puppy already and don't know which one you are getting? That's interesting.

I don't think you need to introduce a puppy on neutral ground. 2 adult dogs, yes. A new puppy is not a threat really.

I would just make sure you keep paying attention to Sedona. Like when a human baby comes home, the first "born" sometimes gets less attention.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

We had a hard transition going from a 1-dog family to a 2-dog family. My older one, Henry, was over 5 1/2 when Ollie came home, and had been used to having my undivided attention his entire life. Needless to say, he was not happy. It took a good two weeks before he laid down the rules and told Ollie off, and they have been BEST friends ever since.

One thing that I found helped was acknowledging him first... first out to potty, first for treats, first for meals etc. and I made sure I spent one-on-one time with him every single day. Doing obedience exercises really helped, but sometimes it was just him and I hanging out together, or running errands together.

Now, they are truly best friends.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

We brought Hampton home 2 months ago at 8 weeks old. Jeb was 3 years old yesterday. We had trained Jeb to sit and wait for his dinner so it has made it a little bit easier as we restrain Hamp while placing the bowls then release them both. If they've both ben crated Jeb is let out first. My husband has had a hard time with this because Hampton is the "baby". They get along very well and rarely have I had to intervene. It is early yet but has been quite an easy transition. Easier than I had anticipated. If things between the two get too rowdy, I'll crate Hampton since he is usually the culprit. Jeb has been sooooo patient with Hampton. Disposition-wise they are opposites which helps I'm sure. I cannot ever imagine not having two. Good luck.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Wait - you named the puppy already and don't know which one you are getting? That's interesting.

I don't think you need to introduce a puppy on neutral ground. 2 adult dogs, yes. A new puppy is not a threat really.
    Sharon, interesting that you say that. LIke I said, we didn't do the neutral ground thing, just brought the puppy straight into the house and there were no problems whatsoever.

As for naming first, well, we'd actually pretty much picked out Toby's name before we met him (Toblerone, for a chocolate boy). I suppose if it hadn't fit we'd've changed it. But I don't think it's that different than picking out a baby's name before birth... then again, I don't have babies of the two legged-sort, so I'm probably the wrong one to ask! I wonder how many people here had pre-selected names and how many chose after meeting their pup?

lisa is offline Senior Member

Gracie is 1 years old, we just got Lola our new lab on Nov. 29. I just carried Lola in the house and let Gracie smell her, I placed her on the floor and Gracie was so gentle..she sniffed her gently and to my surprise was not rough at all. Although as Lola is getting older I have to referee sometimes...Gracie is patient, but does get frustrated with Lola's constant jumping and nipping of her ear. They love each other, I was not sure if I was doing the right thing, but it was a great decision. Good luck and remember lots of pictures please

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Big Brown Dog - I have had the name Keegan picked out for a long time. I did the same with Sedona. Just names DH and I love and it fits Sedona and I am sure it will fit my new girl. If for some reason it doesn't I can always come up with a new name.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Isn't it great to have a sister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast