Food

Thread: Food

tyhags is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood

My lab is currently eating Royal Canin large breed formula. She is a little bit under weight. She is 4.5 months old right now and I'm wondering if it is ok to switch her food at this age? I am also looking to find a great dog food with a good amount of protein and has meat as the main ingredient. I'm looking for good foods with less fillers also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if you are looking to go grain-free or just a higher quality food, but I would still recommend staying with a Puppy food for at least a couple more months. I believe many people on here switch their Labs to adult food around 6 months? So you might just want to stick it out for a big longer with the RC.

There are MANY good foods out there and everyone has their own opinion. I suggest that you do research and see what you have available around you - many of the websites for different brands of food have a locator. And even if they don't carry a specific formula, they could probably order it for you.

One of the better quality foods that you can find more readily is the Purina Pro Plan Selects line, I think they have puppy food, too, but I could be wrong.

Other brands that can be harder to find, depending on where you live, include Wellness (their CORE line is grain-free), Innova Evo (grain-free), Blue Buffalo, Acana, Orijen, Taste of The Wild (grain-free) and many others.

Here is a website where you can find info on a lot of the different brands I listed above: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...iews/index.php

And here's another for grain-free dog food http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

You'll find a lot of people here feed their Labs grain-free diets because many dogs have allergies to grain (ie less expensive dog foods full of corn). It can help eliminate skin and ear problems as well as a bunch of other good stuff.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. The only reason I would want to switch her would be to get her on a food that could get her to a better weight (26lbs at 4.5 months). She is pretty tall and I can still see her ribs. It would mainly be to help her grow properly. So would I be waiting too long before I got her on a different food if I waited until 6 months?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Why don't you just increase the amount you feed?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I am doing that. I just wasn't sure if it was better to have a food with a lot of protein like 42% rather than the 32% thats in the Royal Canin.