Taste of the Wild Food, Anyone??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taste of the Wild Food, Anyone??

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaste of the Wild Food, Anyone??

I just found that our local Tractor Supply Store sells Taste of the Wild. I checked it out and bought a 15lb bag of the salmon to try. I currently feed my dogs Wellness Core. Protein is less in TOTW (25%) Wellness is (34%). Fat is just a tad higher, TOTW 15%, Wellness 14%.

Biggest consideration for me is the price. It's $10.00 cheaper a bag, which will save me almost $40.00 a months, which is a LOT of money in my current financial crisis. I can't feed a grain based diet (too many hotspots on Ruger) so am hoping this food will serve us well. I like that it's in several flavors (I like to give my dogs lots of variety).

Just wondering if anyone else feeds this. Thanks.
    Last edited by 3TailsWaggin; 01-02-2010 at 06:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

I do. We feed the bison/venison based formula called High Prairie. I love it. Dogs have been VERY healthy. We actually made it through a summer of dogs in and out of the lake all day long with no ear problems. The price tag is easy(ier) to swallow and all three love it! Even my VERY picky boy, Murphy.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We've fed it too Linda. It is definitely the best grain-free option for a budget! Boys seemed to do fine on it. DFL loves it. She recommended it to me when Timberwolf Organics raised their price through the roof. We used the salmon too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I never could afford to pay $1.50 a pound, so I feed raw. Costs about $32 a month for me to feed Amber. I have a friend that feeds raw with vegetables and stuff and she spends about $25 a month per dog but she is really really good at shopping and buys meat in 40lb boxes and has a seperate freezer for food (and Ducks).
    An added bonus of this is improved food safety as everything I feed is usdaa inspected and any food recalls are anounced asap. Pet food recalls seem to go on for months as there are few reasons to perform expensive tests to determine deaths of dogs.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I recently started Bruno on it because he had runny poo on Diamond L&R. So far he has done well on it.
    I have Mitzi on Wellness core (she has fewer ear problems on it) and Judy on wellness core light to lose some weight.

I feed about half raw Kelly. We don't have good supply of raw stuff available here. I do hearts and gizzards, liver, raw patties. I cannot feed bone. Ruger throws up any bone I feed him (unless it is pre-ground as in the patties). I like the convience of kibble and try to feed that in the morning and some raw at night.

I've asked around and it seems a lot of the labrador folks in my area are feeding the Taste of the Wild. I'm pretty sure it will be okay. My dogs are not picky eaters.

Thanks for the feedback!

patm is offline Senior Member

My dogs have done well on about any higher quality good that I have fed them, but I have had them on Innova Evo for over a year now and they do really well on it. I tried TOTW earlier in the year, and it seemed like they didn't do as well on it. They didn't seem to eat it as well, and actually got fleas for the first time in their lives. I'm not blaming the food, but you know how when you get sick just after you ate something, it turns you off that, even if it had nothing to do with it. I DO like the price of TOTW, and the fact that I can get it at TSC and not have to drive and hour for it. Let us know how your dogs do on it.

justine is offline Senior Member

Before I switched Abbey to homecooked food, she was on TOTW High Prairie and did very well before she stopped eating. She had zero skin problems, as she did on other foods, and her ears were sparkling clean.. not sure if it was just the food, but her ears aren't 100% flat like Lab ears, either.

I was able to get it for $35 a bag, which is $20 cheaper than what I could get Wellness CORE for. Abbey was on the CORE and EVO but she didn't do well on them.

Abbey also did okay on the Wetlands formula, but she liked the High Prairie better. We also tried the Pacific Stream but the fish gave her horrible breath and gas

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

That's all I've used for almost two years now. All varieties with no problems. My neighbor tried it and her elderly lab with gross, disgusting chronic ear troubles cleared up completely by the second bag. It's certainly a better price than most grain-free kibbles.

I fed Innova Evo for a long time, but recently my dogs were all getting fat on it, and I was feeding less and less, to the point I was giving them more green beans than the food and they still kept weight on. That's when I switched to the Wellness and they've dropped a few pounds.

Basically I just want a grain free kibble that is cost effective at this point in time I'm going to give it a try and see how we do. If we have issues, I can always go back to the Wellness or Evo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast