A look back in time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look back in time

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultA look back in time

Here is a link to a book from 1915 that shows breed standards of the time. It is interesting to note that Labs of that era were a bit taller and leggier. The size they give is 26" and 80 lbs. looking at the picute though it is quite obviously a Lab. Check out the other breeds.
    The Labrador is on page 42

http://www.archive.org/stream/dogsof...ge/n0/mode/2up
    Last edited by Amber The Duck Dawg; 01-02-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I feel our breed has had ver few changes than most others. Some breeds looke drastically different now.
    Kim

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

The lab in that book looks a lot like Cybil's body shape (when she wasn't chubby).
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That's a really cool book. They do look basically the same. Somehow, a little less refined...?

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I think everyone would recognize the lab in the pic as a lab without a problem. I noticed that Golden retrievers were not listed and the dobermans and german shephard dogs look way different.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I didn't see the GSD picture, but I like the old-style GSDs way better than this new way they're breeding with those really low-slung back hips. To me that looks so unnatural, and it makes them have a gait that looks like they think they're in trouble, or are sneaking up on something.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did you check out the Shetland Sheepdog (which looks like a Border) and the American Foxhound - which looks nothing like a Foxhound - more like a coon hound? Amazing how many breeds listed I have never heard of.

The sheer number of separate Bassett breeds in France for instance! Do you think that they are still in existance?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Interesting! Very cute Lab. Love looking at old pics like this and see the development of different breeds. Some of them really sad...I agree with Connie. GSD (and a few others) was healthier looking back then.

But OMG look at the Corded Poodle (p54) I could pass that bearded collie and think it was a mutt and the dober for a mix! Some breeds has developed so much trough the decades, some hardly at all. Interesting indeed.
    Last edited by Emma the Lab; 01-02-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

justine is offline Senior Member

Wow - so interesting!! A lot of the GSDs that we see have such horrible hip dysplasia because of how they bred for that kind of gait.. very sad

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Wow! Thanks for posting. What a great book. Of course there is no mistaking the lab but it sure looks a lot different than my bench breed boy. Of course the lab is not nearly as different as the Bedlington terrier(when did the arched back appear?) the Shetland Sheepdog and the GSD.

It is so interesting that some breeds changed and then others did not change at all.....like the Dalmation. A gorgeous dog then and a gorgeous dog now.

How about the Russian Yellow Retriever? Looked just like a Golden to me so I googled it and found this.

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...an-retrievers/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast