An almost New years disaster (HELP)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An almost New years disaster (HELP)

Abby's mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAn almost New years disaster (HELP)

I don't know how many times I have posted about this on other forums, but it is an on going problem and this is the worst it's ever been. some of you guys know my girl Abby. If not she is my 5 year old adopted lab mix yes we are noobs to this site. Well she has an issue with bad storms and loud noises and she gets really bad. Well tonight is new years and a while ago our neighbors down the street were setting off their fireworks. Abby has never gotten this bad and quite frankly it could have led to a heart attack. She has never ever been this bad and it scared us all.

She just flipped out and went onto my parents bed and started shaking real bad and panting really hard. I had to carry her out of the room because she couldn't walk. I ran her into the quietest room which would be mine and it's the room she feels most comfortable in. After about half an hour she calmed down a bit, but was still panting and shaking, but she could stand and walk. I took a video of that and it's uploading now, but photo bucket takes forever.

Anyway the only reason I'm on the computer right now is because she's stable enough in my room and is drinking some water and stopped shaking. This has gotten out of hand. As soon as I can I'm taking her into the vet or I will call them possibly tomorrow if I can, but I must go. only two hours till midnight and the fact that she got this bad with only a couple going off I'm worried about later tonight when everyone starts shooting them off.

Any advice on how to keep her clam and what not is welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

As a short term solution for tonight, try putting ear plugs or cotton in her ears to lessen the noise. I had a dog just like this. If you have any benedryl, give her some. That might make her drowsy. Good luck. I had to get a tranqualizer for my Setter to get her through storms and fireworks. I feel for you and her.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

bbbbmom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you both are going through this. Probably nothing you can do tonight but in the future, maybe get some sedatives from the vet for 4th of July, NYE, and thunderstorms.

They do make this product that the dog wears, http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=C...FRaenAodryXDJQ. It calms them with gentle pressure. I've read about others who just put a snug tshirt on their dogs. It works in the same way you swaddle a human baby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem with my Dutch Shepherd and we live a block and a half from an annual July 4th fireworks show. She would melt down early in the day and shake like a leaf all through the show.

I would create as much "white noise" in the house as possible - all TVs on, radio on, fans on - whatever. I would ignore her acting out. As hard as that may be to do, you are only making her worse when you comfort the dog. (Comfort reinforces her fear - it's like you are validating that she has a reason to be afraid) If she wants to get into a small dark space (like a closet) let her.

The ear plugs are a good suggestion as well as the Benedryl. Good luck!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Abby's mom is offline Senior Member

thanks for the help guys. It's been about an hour and a half since all this took place and she's pretty much back to normal. Just a little weary about coming out of my bedroom. Well one more hour til things really start to kick off. I'll update on how things go tomorrow.

For Now, Happy new year

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I agree with ignoring the behavior/not reinforcing that there is anything to be afraid of, but I know as bad as it sounds like she is that is going to be very difficult. I'm so sorry she's so afraid. Poor girl!

When we adopted Simon at 7 months, he was terribly afraid of loud noises. Kevin had to stop watching violent movies with gunfire on TV, because they would just tear poor Simon up. If either of us raised our voices, same reaction. He behaved as though someone had mistreated him terribly, and he was terrified that any argument was about him.

He didn't get to the same level as Abby, but he was definitely, noticeably upset.

He would run into the other room, and I would let him go do what he needed to do. It almost killed me not to go scoop him up and cuddle him, but I just let him be. When he would come back to the room we were in, finally, he got lots of happy praise.

Over time he has gotten much, much better. I wish I could say that he's 100%, but the thing that remains a little bit is a fear of angry voices. He still gets very insecure and needy if Kevin or I become tense. I try to act very casual when he gets this way, telling him, "Oh silly, don't worry, no one is mad at you." He has actually defused a lot of arguments

Anyway, if Abby is as upset as you describe, I might be inclined to try counter-conditioning with her. I have an aunt who has a dog who is similar to Abby in her reactions to storms, as far as the level to which she gets upset. Except she becomes very destructive trying to escape. She has chewed through drywall trying to get out. The vet gave her some Acepromazine to give her when one is coming, and it does help. But the problem is, you can't always anticipate a storm and it may materialize when you are at work. It would be great if you could help eliminate the fear through positive training. I think it would be worth a try, anyway.

Glad to hear she made it through last night OK. We had a few fireworks too. Angus doesn't even notice. Simon barked, but didn't get afraid or upset. When I think of how he was when we first adopted him, he's come a long way.

Sandy himalayas is offline Senior Member

It might sound strange i have a neighbour he had same problem with his dog...this was few days before Diwali ( crackers day here like NY & christmas) in morning he took the dog outside fired a cracker & gave him biscuit , did same several time n till diwali he coped up with this issue...wishes for Abby .happy 2010
    Past is history, future a mystery , life is here & now celebrate!!!!!!

justine is offline Senior Member

I would talk to your veterinarian... in some cases there are products, such as the tightly fitting wrap, which can help.. but in some cases, a sedative can be given at certain times (i.e. 4th of July, during travel, etc) when you know there might be something that could set her off.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

I agree that calming validates fear. When Abby got older she became fearful of lightning and would go into our walk-in closet or bathroom during bad storms. We allowed her to remain there as long as she wanted. The fear didn't escalate. So I would ignore her behavior and allow her to to a secluded, "safe" place. It may take some time. Fortunately the 2 we have now don't have the issue. Best of luck.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hope things get better. Both Tal and Barney dislike sudden loud noises, but whne those occur, I never let on. Barney is a little more apprehensive about unexpected stuff, but he does ok. Ignoring the behavior and acting like everything is normal is a good idea.

I would also get your vets advice on things that would help her in the meantime. And the advice and ideas here are good ones. Good luck and hope she made it through last night ok!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast