I can't believe this happened
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe this happened

DefaultI can't believe this happened

So I took Maggie to the jogging trail that is located in the "foresty woodsy" area that they managed to preserver (in the heart of san antonio, tx). It's a really nice trail and there are always other dogs so I take Maggie for socialization and to stretch her legs. I stupidly, left my long lead at the house because it was an impromptu trip.

So about halfway through the walk I stopped and looked around. No one in sight. So I let Maggie off lead. I always do this and she's always great. So we are walking and she's having a great time..and then we started to come up to the part where we have to cross traffic. I called her to me....and she ignored me. She's running in circles, barking, running up and "tagging" me and running way before I could get my hands on her. Literally, for 20 minutes I tried to get her, and about 10 minutes in I just sat down in the mud (literally) and waited for her to come to me. She was nearly within reach and was coming happily to me when I runner went by. A long, lean, crazy professional runner lady.

I asked her quickly to please stop because Maggie immediately went after her. Maggie started barking excitedly and jumped up on her. I asked her to please stop for a second, but instead, she yelled at Maggie to get off and proceeded to kick her. Yes. She kicked my 4 month old puppy. And kept running. So here it is. This professional runner is going down the trail with my puppy trailing after her, and she is barking, and jumping, and being kicked in the stomach by this horrible person...and there I am yelling at running after her. I am literally yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs for this woman to stop - they were coming up on traffic.

Thank goodness it's a slow intersection and they made it safely across...well Maggie did get hit by that stupid b%t%% of a woman in the midst of the intersection, but she did not get hit by a car thank god. So I am running after them best I can, but I am no match for this lady, and we are getting closer and closer to my where my car is parked...and Maggie is not slowing down or paying me any attention.

I am covered in mud...out of breath...and crying at this point. Thankfully. Maggie stops right at the car lot and turns and looks at me with this look her in eyes that says, "what's wrong, Mommy? We were just going for a run". I kept waiting for her to bolt after the runner again, so I quickly stopped and dropped to the ground and called her. It took her about 5 minutes, but she trotted over to me.

The woman never once looked back. Son of a ....

so that was my morning....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Wow.... how horrible! That woman really is a bitch! I feel for you, I remeber when Dio played (and still sometimes does) play the can`t catch me game. Ugh!

Abby's mom is offline Senior Member

that's horrible. Poor maggie.

Me and Abby were in a similar situation except we were walking and one of the neighborhood kids decides to walk up behind us and attempt to hit her with a giant branch. This was about 4 years ago so I was like 11 and went off on the kid yelling.

Some people

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

oakley is offline Senior Member

I hate that game that they play!!
    AND I would have hollered at that woman I think.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Don't you wish you had just stuck your foot out as she ran by? (and then stomped on her!) Bitch is too nice a word for that woman.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I agree that the runner could have been more tolerant and helpful to you, and should not have kicked Mollie.

I also hope that you learned something from the incident. Maggie, at 4 months old, is not ready to be off-lead in a public environment like that. I am sure the runner was just like a blowing leaf, a squirrel, a deer. A moving distraction to be chased. How fortunate that she wasn't hit by a car, or something else. A fenced yard, a dog park is an excellent place for her to get her running exercise and doggie socialization. A training class would help also. But to place all the blame on someone else out for their run, not doing anything wrong in pursuing their own legitmate activity is also not fair. She wasn't anice person, but she was not wrong. You were wrong to have Maggie off-lead where I am sure she should be legally, and obviously is not good enough on recall. Think about it. I am not trying to be nasty. As dog owners, we have our responsibility to have our dogs under proper control. Everyone does not love dogs as we do, and incidents like this make it harder for all of us.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I agree pretty much with everything said above...however...everybody makes mistakes and humans that are so callous and indifferent to the distress of others are just plain mean. This woman could have helped this situation and instead her selfishness made it worse. What would it have cost this woman to stop and let someone retrieve their puppy? So I agree about the lessons to be learned but I don't agree about the woman not being wrong...as they say "two wrongs don't make a right."

Sandy himalayas is offline Senior Member

Im glad she is fine, lady should have been more human & lesson for you as well as everyone!!!!!
    Past is history, future a mystery , life is here & now celebrate!!!!!!

justine is offline Senior Member

Wow - people are idiots! I would have been pretty pissed, too!

Do you have a long 30-ft lead or maybe a Flexi-lead? That way you can still play at the park but you can practice recall and reel her in if you need to.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Maybe she is too young to be off leash, but that jogger bitch deserves a boot in the a**. Who in their right mind could kick a 4 month old puppy and not stop so her owner could try to grab her. 2 words... Dumb Ass. Happy the pup is okay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast