My Lab Bailey

Thread: My Lab Bailey

tyhags is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab Bailey

My lab Bailey is 4 months and 1 week old and is weighing about 25 pounds. Everything I have read says that labs weigh about 40 pounds at this age. Her mother is 65 pounds and her father is 80 pounds. Anyone know about how big she will be? and any advice on feeding would really help out

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

erika348 is offline Junior Member

I'm not a feeding expert, however, I did find that my labs did much better with more protein than fillers or corn. So after some checking - we settled on Blue Buffalo and they've really thrived on it.

My Riley is 6 months old and weighs 43 pounds. His mother was on the smaller side and father was larger. He looks healthy and not underweight (can not see his bones), and I am assuming that he will be on the smaller side. You said that everything you read says he should be around 40 pounds at this age, and I tend to think it is misleading because labs come in all sizes and shapes. I have heard of labs in the mid 50's all the way up to 100 pounds once they are full grown.

As far as feeding goes, make sure you have a quality food for your dog. Some feed Purina Pro Plan and it works for their dogs while others feed something else like Innova large breed puppy food.

We feed Riley Natural Balance Potato and Duck because he can not tolerate much else. I do add EVO canned duck (only a couple of spoonfuls in because I want the extra protein for him).

Bottom line, every lab is different, and as long as he is healthy your dog is fine.

Robin

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

The other posters are right-all labs are different.
    I have 2 chocolate girls-Moka and Java.
    Java weighed 16+ lbs at 8 weeks when we brought her home, 34 lbs at 3 months and 55 lbs at 5 months. She is almost a year old now and weighs 75lbs. She will gain about another 5-7lbs as she fills out, so she'll top out around 80. She is very stocky, blocky and muscular.
    Moka weighed 11 lbs at 8 weeks and at almost 5 months she weighs about 35-40 lbs. Moka and Java are from the same parents, just different litters and there is a big difference in their build. Moka is more delicate, Java is more tank. Their mother weighs 82 lbs and their father weighs 90lbs.
    Both of my girls are on Eukanunba Large Breed. Moka is on the puppy formula, Java is and has been on the Adult formula since she was 5 months old-she was growing too fast on the puppy formula so I switched her to the adult formula to slow her down. Moka will stay on the puppy formula for a while, she has a broken leg, so she needs the extra nutrients that are in the puppy formula while her bones heal. They each get 1 can of wet food once a week-1/2 a can on Saturday, 1/2 a can on Sunday..we call it "Wet food weekends"!! lol They also get carrots or green beans in their dinner meal during the week, and sometimes a little bit of chicken.

My brother had 3 chocolates, 2 females and 1 male. The male weighed 90lbs (he was a hunting dog) and ate 10 cups of food + 1 lb of hamburg a day to maintain that weight. One female weighed 75 lbs, the other weighed only 47 lbs...all pure bred labs.

Basically, it's a wait and see with labs!! There's not much you can do about what size he will be, so just wait and see where he ends up!!

Hey...where are the pictures?????

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

What brand are you feeding now? As long as it's a good quality food, I wouldn't switch. You may have a more petite dog, and at that age it's pretty hard to say how big she will be. I have two girls and Rush weighs 75# Boo weighs in at #63. Needless to say, Boo is a more petite dog.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

My Daisy weighs in at about 66# (although we are headed to the vet today for a weigh and vaccinations). Her dad is a Ch. so I'm guessing he weighs in at a decent amount, and I believe her mom was around 75#. Daisy has a sister (same litter) that is at like 78#right now, and another at about the same weight.

I do keep Daisy on the leaner side, but I can't see her ribs (just feel them) and the vet loves where she is at. It just all depends. My breeder kept her particular pup because she had more bone and substance, while mine was more moderate.

There is a pup I know of who is 7 months old right now and he weighs in the 90's, so it just really does all depend.

I feed Daisy Orijen 6 Fish or Acana Pacifica, which ever I can get (they are made by the same company, Acana just has less variety of fish in it). Daisy has been eating Orijen since she was about 4 months old. Her breeder had her on Innova LBP.
    We feed our field lab, Lola, who is also about 66#, Nutri-source chicken and rice.

If you just look for a quality food, that is not corn based and light on the fillers, you should be in a good shape. I will say that from what I've read and researched you don't need to do a large breed puppy formula, it's mostly a gimmick. If I were to have a puppy again, depending on what my breeder fed, I'd be inclined to try the Proplan Puppy, and then move onto an adult formula, you can probably switch your girl to an adult formula at around 5 months.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

tyhags is offline Junior Member

I am currently feeding her Royal Canin. About 1 1/2 cups in the morning and in the evening. I am going by what the bag says but from everthing I have read most people use a good bit more than what the bag recommends.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you're asking at the right place.

My lab Bailey is 4 months and 1 week old and is weighing about 25 pounds. Everything I have read says that labs weigh about 40 pounds at this age. Her mother is 65 pounds and her father is 80 pounds. Anyone know about how big she will be? and any advice on feeding would really help out
    Your sources are wrong.

Some AKC Labs will have an adult body weight of 50 lbs, some of 125 lbs.

There are 2 types of USA lines -- the bench (AKA English, show) which are blocky, stocky, straight thick tails and the field (as in competing in HTs & FTs) which tend to be taller, leaner, lankier, leggier, and with more sickle shaped tails. Plus all kinds of AKC and non-AKC Lab mixes inbetween. Usually, field line Labs tend to mature heavier and taller than bench line Labs (roughly, 85-105 lbs vs 70-85 lbs).

Also, depending on that specific breeder's line, the developmental curves of weight gain can be very different.

My Puff, e.g., gained weight in a smooth curve, very much the shape of the NW quadrant of a US/Canadian football (with its noses aligned E-W). But the Seeing Eye institute in NJ has their own line of Labs bred as guide dogs and (as reported in a JAVMA article) their rate of weight gain is sinusoidal (for the first 6 months similar to the shape taken by a 20 ft chain attached at one end 10 ft above ground while attached at the other end 15 ft away on the ground -- and then the shape flips over the next 6 months).

My Puff, the runt of her litter (weighing 6 lbs @ 9 wks age to her littermates' 12 lbs) weighed 25 lbs at 125 days. She followed the football shaped curve as I suspect most Labs do. A friend's Lab, from a different litter, was born on the same day as my Puff and he always weighed twice her weight. Puff matured at 62 lbs; he at 125.

I am currently feeding her Royal Canin. About 1 1/2 cups in the morning and in the evening. I am going by what the bag says but from everthing I have read most people use a good bit more than what the bag recommends.
    You shouldn't compare just cups of food without taking into account kcals/cup.

I assume you're feeding the Royal Canin for Large Breed pups? That's almost 500 kcals/cup. Some other puppy foods are closer to 300 kcals/cup. So your pup is getting in 3 cups what those others get in 5 cups. A cup of clam chowder has a lot more energy in it than a cup of chicken broth has.

My Puff was a self-regulator as far as food intake was concerned (VERY unusual for Labs, only about 10% are -- the rest are gluttons). At around 6-7 months, she began skipping meals for a day or so (she was eating 5c/day at that time). I measured the amount she consumed and offered that lesser quantity for subsequent meals. Then she started skipping again. I reduced the amount again -- and again -- and again. Finally she stabilized at about 1 1/8th cup 2X/day of food that has 393 kcals/cup + a few extra goodies. So she went from eating about 2,000 kcals/day at max to eating about 1,000 kcals/day as an adult. (And that's typical according to chapters on nutrition and growth in "The Book of Dogs" by the UC-Davis vet faculty.)

Best wishes to you and Bailey -- may you both have many happy years together.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748