Broken teeth

Thread: Broken teeth

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultBroken teeth

Didn't want to hijack Felicia's thread for poor Henery. I thought I post this before, but now realize that was probably two years ago.

HK had some significant dental issues as a pup. All 6 of her upper incisors either didn't come in or rotted immediately. She had enamel issues with several other of her adult teeth. The result was to head for the U of MN Vetinerary Dental School for treatment.

Getting to the point, I got a long list of what I needed to do to take care of the teeth she still has, and then general cautionary notes. The one item that stuck in my head hard was the primary casuses of tooth breakage in our canines, all breeds.

(1) Bully Sticks
    (2) Nylabones (the 'non-edible' edible ones)
    (3) Cooked smaller marrow bones

What they recommended if I felt that I had to give her something to gnaw on was Large Raw marrow bones. Raw because they are not as hard, have enough moisture left in them that lubricates them enough for the dogs teeth to slip off them. Large because it tends to prevent the dog from biting down on them. More of an on the side grinding.

They also noted that rawhide is great relative to the teeth, but carries a significant risk of blockage if the dog has a tendency to swallow large pieces.
    So, I posted it again for whatever it is worth to anyone.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

thanks for the info

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Good info. I do give mine bully sticks. They love them.

Ruger has worn his teeth down to the gum line on one side of his mouth from the tennis ball (warning.. the fuzz on tennis balls acts like sandpaper and will destroy their teeth). My vet said he's okay though. She said they rarely ever have to remove teeth that are worn down... usually only have to remove them if they break/crack.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Good info, thanks for posting, Ed.

Abbey had tennis ball toys until I learned on here that they are bad for their teeth. A couple of her upper incisors look a little funky from chewing on them, but no significant damage, luckily.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good advice Ed. Abby broke the tip of one of her canines on a Nylabone. So far no issues but we watch it close.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Good info. I do give mine bully sticks. They love them.

Ruger has worn his teeth down to the gum line on one side of his mouth from the tennis ball (warning.. the fuzz on tennis balls acts like sandpaper and will destroy their teeth). My vet said he's okay though. She said they rarely ever have to remove teeth that are worn down... usually only have to remove them if they break/crack.
    I was thinking breakage when I posted. Yes! The cover on the better tennis balls is fiberglass. A great abrasive. We fetch with tennis balls, but HK is not allowed to chew on them, and fortunately she doesn't. She can't afford to lose any enamel.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

I used to give rawhide but it made my dogs sick. Mira's teeth look much better since I have given her raw marrow bones.

labby is offline Senior Member

Boomer cracked a tooth on a hoof

Laura

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post

What they recommended if I felt that I had to give her something to gnaw on was Large Raw marrow bones. Raw because they are not as hard, have enough moisture left in them that lubricates them enough for the dogs teeth to slip off them. Large because it tends to prevent the dog from biting down on them. More of an on the side grinding.
    Gotta disagree about Large raw marrow bones. Derby used to get those and broke his fourth premolar on them and had to have the tooth extracted. People who feed raw will often say not give dogs any weightbearing bones as they are too hard.

He gets frozen turkey necks for his teeth now.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson