Need Another's Point of View
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Another's Point of View

El Capitan is offline Member

DefaultNeed Another's Point of View

Hello All! Hope to get some suggestions on our recent happenings . . . . .
    So, I had to leave the house this morning, came back and Ramon pooped in the house.
    I got a flashback to his early puppy months.
    I have to say that recently he and I have been reuinted after about six months. He had been to three different caregivers until he came to me.
    Coming to me, he comes into a new home. He's been in this new home for about two months already.
    So, other times I've left him in the house, I have found him in his kennel, ears squeezed downward, and I know he's done something wrong. And yes, I've discovered chewed up things, has climbed on the kitchen table, and other things but the recent one is the reason for my post today.
    Becuase of his mischief in the house, I had to keep him in the laundry room because I can't trust him with free reign to the house.
    We are usually good about his feeding schedule but this morning he ate whatever was left over from yesterday's meal (very unusual, i just forgot to take up his food-my fault). I left for a short jog, coming back I discovered his poop in the laundry room. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is he still adjusting to the new house, new schedule? ? ? He a little over a year and a half.
    Oh, in addition, can he be sexually aroused at this age? He is intact, and when we go out to do business, he sticks his nose in the air and goes to the fence door, sniffing like there's no tomorrow. I believe we have a bitch in heat nearby. He also destroyed one of my blinds to the window, I suspect he wants to get out. Can I expect this from him at this age?
    Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the long post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Put him in a crate, and neuter him.

Of course he can be sexually driven at this age, dogs can sire litters earlier than 6 months old.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Some dogs in that age group can exhibit a little regression - it could be that. It could also be that he was distracted when he was out earlier, forgot to poop and remembered when you left him alone. Oops! I would not read too much into it.

I think he needs to be in a crate when you are not home. My 1 year old is crated whenever I go out and will be for the foreseable future. Not that he has been particularly destructive (except for a brand new pair of $100- loafers...grrr) but I am concerned about him being injured and potentially ingesting something dangerous in my absence. He is also crated at night for these reasons. He will be MUCH less likely to poop in his crate if he has the urge.

And - at 18 months he is not only quite capable of being aroused - he is also very capable of breeding. Keep a very close eye on him if you think there is a female in heat in the area. He could also be reacting as you describe if an animal left a scent in your yard.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I agree that I would crate him until he is used to being with you again. I'm sure getting settled is part of the pooping inside. I kept both of mine crated while I was gone until they were about a year old, but Tal was 6 weeks and Barney 9 weeks when they came home. After a couple of months, leave him uncrated for a night or two and see how he does.

I would not wait to get him neutered. I would do that as soon as you can make the arrangements. You don't want to risk an accident. No matter how careful, those can still happen.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Does he get enough exercise and outside walks? Did you take him with you when you went for a jog? Why not put a leash on him and go for a walk; that would give him a chance to relearn going outside, but more important, it would be good bonding time.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    Does he get enough exercise and outside walks? Did you take him with you when you went for a jog? Why not put a leash on him and go for a walk; that would give him a chance to relearn going outside, but more important, it would be good bonding time.
    Assuming he is over 18mts of age yes, bring him jogging. but good point about exercise (though some dogs even with sufficient exercise still need to be crated!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I vote for crating him while you are gone. Boo is my youngest girl and she is 4. She has been allowed out of her crate when we are gone now for about 2 months and so far so good (knocking on wood). But remember she is 4 and is just now trustworthy. It may take a while but Ramon will get there. BTW, be sure he is getting plenty of exercise, a tired lab is a happy lab.

Thanks to all of your inputs.
    About exercise, I read on a previous thread that he might be too young for jogging? That's why I didn't take him. We do, however, go for walks.
    In our previous house I was able to trust him out of his kennel.
    In this new place, I've had to use the laundry room b/c of his mischief. I agree with you all, I'll have to crate him again until I can trust him. I have to share that at night he does very well. He quickly learned what his "pillow" was and gives me no trouble at all. He really wasn't any trouble until we arrived at this new house. I do think we have a neighboring dog in heat and in addition to that, the other nieghbor's dogs escaped the fence and came over to rouse him up. I think they peeped on the fence b/c Ramon is the first thing he wants to go smell.
    All was good until he pooped in the laundry room, but I'll take care of that by crating him.
    He's really an exceptionally good companion, I just hope to do right by him.
    Thanks All.
    And get some pics for the Photo Challenge Thread already!!

I forgot to mention that we're running a tight ship for now.
    He is not allowed to leave my sight and must follow his down command.
    I used to let him roam freely around the house, not anymore, he needs to relearn who is boss around here!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how old is your pup?

And you are correct, no running (on leash!) with a dog until they are full grown (depending on the lines this is 18-24 months) but if he is 18 (as mentionned by someone else) then it won't be long until you can start slowly training him to run with you.

I do not (personnaly) believe chewing things when you are gone has anything to do with him questionning your authority, he is just passing the time while you are gone.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast