rottnlab dad ... what we do with the ducks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rottnlab dad ... what we do with the ducks

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Defaultrottnlab dad ... what we do with the ducks

I always enjoy your pics of the "dawgs" doing what they were breed to do. I've always wondered what you do with all of those birds. (I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, but I don't remember seeing it.)
    Well ... This morning, as an example, Remi and I hunted and came back with Five more.

First I cleaned Remi, then all the gear, next the Jeep and finally all five ducks. I brought them inside and turned them over to the head chef (Carol's mom) who then patiently removes 100% of the meat from the bones and boils it. It's then cooked and cut into smaller serving sizes and frozen in meal size portions. Periodically it is removed from the freezer, thawed, micro'd with some chicken stock and served on top of 1-1/2 cups of Eukanuba large breed dry food per dawg.

That's the 2nd time this season that I've cleaned ducks for my 4 legged hunting partners. All the other ducks and geese are given to Ria and Emma's Daddy who hunts with us at least once a week if not more, or otherwise to neighbors or the local church who has many families more than happy to take them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

neat, I would never think to feed the ducks to the dogs but what a good idea. When I was younger my dad would hunt wild birds, mostly pheasant and quail because of where we were, but my mom would not touch it! Dad finally gave up hunting because he didn't know what to do with his prize. lol

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

patm is offline Senior Member

I think you are quoting me from a while back It seems like you get alot of ducks, and I didn't know if you could eat them all. Glad to know that they are put to good use. I firmly believe that hunters help promote wildlife habitat more than most "conservationists".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Love the action shots

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation. It's cool that the dogs get to share in the fruits of their labor.
    And it's great that you donate some of it too!

Bella

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma says she wish she was your neighbor and could get duck on her food too .
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I think you are quoting me from a while back It seems like you get alot of ducks, and I didn't know if you could eat them all. Glad to know that they are put to good use. I firmly believe that hunters help promote wildlife habitat more than most "conservationists".
    I agree, and I'm glad to see the ducks are being eaten.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Great pics Jim - glad the food is being consumed - I for one love duck and could eat it all the time ! (well maybe not 5 birds in one day - LOL)

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

At the risk of being a little offensive ... I absolutely DETEST ducks and geese. They are flying blood clots (taste-wise) IMHO. When I was a little guy my parents made me eat liver. I HATED it, still do and am too old to change now. Waterfowl tastes even worse than liver to me.

However, as most of you who know me already know ... I LOVE my dawgs. They LOVE duck hunting. They train for it 9 months of the year and get to actually do it the other 3. Therein lies the dilemma. I have to have willing recipients for all the ducks we harvest. Not only from an ethical standpoint, but under State and Federal law as well. A licensed hunter is allowed (in TX) six birds per day and not more than two day's limit in their possession at any one time. Therefore, when we hunt as often as we do, it's not unusual to accumulate 2 days of limits pretty quickly so we have to cook or give them away fairly fast.

Ninemiler is offline Member

Great use for the ducks! We do likewise with the scrap meat from deer and elk. Husband cuts up his own game animals and we package and freeze the meat that is still good, but not what we want to eat (gristle, hair, etc.). Often we'll thaw a package, and then boil it with some brown rice and serve that atop their Pro Plan kibble. The boiling pot smells so good that we often joke that we should have the dog food for our dinner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast