*Sigh* I spoke too soon!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Sigh* I spoke too soon!

justine is offline Senior Member

Default*Sigh* I spoke too soon!

After yesterday's not-too-horrible destruction, today Kolby went nuts. I made some Kongs and put them in the freezer. Gave both Abbey and Kolby a Kong before I walked out the door for work. I thought that would keep him busy for a while, but apparently not long enough.

I came home and there was garbage everywhere. Lucky for me there wasn't much in the trash - a couple of empty boxes, potato peels, wrappers, etc... but it was alllllll out in tiny pieces all over the floor. And he managed to find the rest of that granola and spewed it everywhere.. haha.

Then he raided the kitty box again.. litter was E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E, including the water dish. I hate walking through that stuff.

So now I'm going to try to figure out how to dogproof the kitchen. I got a new garbage can that fits under the sink and some of those babyproof clips for the cupboard.Kolby doesn't really paw at anything, it's just his nose.. so I'm going to try this route and hopefully I won't have to do anything else.

*sigh* I'm so thankful that Abbey was never that bad.. she never countersurfed or raided the garbage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Kolby! Buddy, you gotta cool the raids, you got a good thing going!

I hope the baby locks and new garbage do the trick, sorry he's being a tad naughty for you, Justine!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Hope it does the trick!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Kolby come on buddy, mamma's trying her best to keep you out of jail, aka " the crate", but you have to help her out here!! Hope he has a more successful day tomorrow Justine
    Last edited by Di; 12-30-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Ahh trash............Ahhh kitty litter.............NOw ask yourself who is to blame ! Huh !

Did you not see fburkes new trash can ?

You should have rust rings on your worktop like me !

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

It's so disheartening to walk into a "raid" isn't it?..your heart sinks and you think why do I bother?

I hope your new strategies work and that Kolby realises that he's onto a good thing with you guys sooner rather than later or else it's back in the slammer young man!!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

joflake is offline Senior Member

Oh, I'm sorry Justine! I thought the kong would help.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Kolby! I know its tough. Some of them just are not trainable. Just stick with it big boy, I know that you can teach her. She will learn, you just have to be consistent. You can't let her get away with it now and then, because that just destroys all the progress that you have made.

Eventually she will learn:
    (1) If it is food, it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, beyond scent.
    (2) If it has an odor (probably food, maybe shoes), it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, beyond scent.
    (3) If it can be shredded, i.e. any kind of paper,it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps.
    (4) If another animal goes to the bathroom there, it must be baracaded, it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, but the cat will probably be able to get there anyway and that is good.
    Keep at it Kolby. She will learn if you just stay consistent with her. Remember, she has to learn that nothing in life is free (NILIF).
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Kolby! I know its tough. Some of them just are not trainable. Just stick with it big boy, I know that you can teach her. She will learn, you just have to be consistent. You can't let her get away with it now and then, because that just destroys all the progress that you have made.

Eventually she will learn:
    (1) If it is food, it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, beyond scent.
    (2) If it has an odor (probably food, maybe shoes), it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, beyond scent.
    (3) If it can be shredded, i.e. any kind of paper,it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps.
    (4) If another animal goes to the bathroom there, it must be baracaded, it must be put away. Beyond reach, beyond jumps, but the cat will probably be able to get there anyway and that is good.
    Keep at it Kolby. She will learn if you just stay consistent with her. Remember, she has to learn that nothing in life is free (NILIF).
    WE are learning this with Miss Gracie...she is guilty of all of the above.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    After yesterday's not-too-horrible destruction, today Kolby went nuts. I made some Kongs and put them in the freezer. Gave both Abbey and Kolby a Kong before I walked out the door for work. I thought that would keep him busy for a while, but apparently not long enough.

I came home and there was garbage everywhere. Lucky for me there wasn't much in the trash - a couple of empty boxes, potato peels, wrappers, etc... but it was alllllll out in tiny pieces all over the floor. And he managed to find the rest of that granola and spewed it everywhere.. haha.

Then he raided the kitty box again.. litter was E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E, including the water dish. I hate walking through that stuff.

So now I'm going to try to figure out how to dogproof the kitchen. I got a new garbage can that fits under the sink and some of those babyproof clips for the cupboard.Kolby doesn't really paw at anything, it's just his nose.. so I'm going to try this route and hopefully I won't have to do anything else.

*sigh* I'm so thankful that Abbey was never that bad.. she never countersurfed or raided the garbage.
    Is Kolby a new dog? My first dog was like Abby never did any of the above..well maybe she tore a trash bag one and a while, but never destructive. Gracie is a different ball game...hopefully Lola will not live what she learns from her big sis . Come on Kolby be good for momma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast