thought we trained him better...

Thread: thought we trained him better...

EL TATE is offline Junior Member

Red facethought we trained him better...

Kind of like an adolescent teenager, you think you taught them better... Cooper just turned 1 on Dec. 7th, and has not had accidents in the house, but is starting to deliberately mark in houses where other male dogs are present. I really don't want to neuter him as I have breeding rights. Any good training advice to curb this? Spanking and yelling aren't my style, and whenever I do go to that well he looks at me as if to say, "I'll just do it when you're not around, dummy."

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. (I just down the road a bit from you in Woodinville.)

Not sure what to suggest (other than neutering).
    Obviously trying to correct him for something that he did more than a few seconds ago is useless and counterproductive.

Bella

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's a training issue as much as an adolescent problem. My 1 year old ntact male does not mark and never has.

You probably have some urine scent in the locations he is marking. Have you used an enzymatic urine neutralizer like Natures Miracle to remove the odor? (you may not be able to smell the remnant urine odor)

Are you saying this is happening in front of other males - I would correct as you would for any pee accident - remove him to outdoors.

Spanking and yelling are not a "style" - they are ineffective methods of managing behavior - particularly since your dog probably has no idea what brought about your fury. If he is marking in your absence - crate him when he cannot be supervised. If he does this in your presence - stop him and remove him to the outdoors.

Is he a show quality dog or a dog from FT champion lines? Why are you thinking of breeding him?
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 12-28-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

^^ what Sharon said.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Tanya is offline Senior Member

training issue. clean any area where there have been accidents with an appropriate odor-neutralizig cleaner, supervise the dog to correct any accidents before/as they happen and crate when you are not able to supervise.

I had a foster who was a big time marker but I set him up and that was quickly put to a stop (no hitting or yelling, just appropriate supervision, cleaning and crating)

Just a sidenote: having breeding "rights" does not mean a dog should be bred, please do research before you even consider using the dog as a stud. It is more than having the "rights" and thinking your dog is the best and people on the street say you should breed him.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I think this is a training issue, made more difficult if past accidents/markings are not cleaned completely with an enzymatic cleaner... I agree with what Sharon said, treat as if it were any pee accident.

I have a 16-month-old intact male and he has never marked in our house, nor in anyone else's, nor anywhere inside (vet's office, groomer where we have his nails clipped) for that matter.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Tank was intact until about a year ago at 10 years old. I could tell that he would want to mark the first time we were at a new home whether there were other dogs there or not. If I stayed on top of him for the first 15 minutes or so and corrected him when I thought he was thinking about it all went well and he never tried.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

By the way you can neuter him and still breed him if you want too. Simply have semen collected and stored then have him neutered. Then you can have the best of both worlds. Some people wait till the dog is finished growing before neutering (14-20 months).

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

By the way you can neuter him and still breed him if you want too.
    Scared me there for a minute! LOL!

What they said.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

EL TATE is offline Junior Member

I just wanted to be able to get another Cooper when his time comes, great personality, size, etc., so the semen bank may be the way to go, and I also wanted to wait until he was done growing to neuter, so you've helped in both aspects. He never has a problem in my home even when other males are around, it's just in other peoples homes, the groomer's etc, so i guess it's just back to the training and staying on top of him like others have suggested. Side note, he went to the groomers yesterday and ALWAYS marks right when he walks in the door and didn't this time. maybe we're making progress.