Kennel Dogs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Dogs

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Dogs

I have debated posting this question or not. But it is something I have been thinking about and wondering what the thought on the topic is.

On all the boards there are a variety of things we should look for when choosing a breeder (clearances, proven dogs, litters raised indoors, screening buyers...).

What about those who have kennel dogs? I mean the very nice kennels, heated/cooled and cleaned usually because the breeder has many dogs (15+). Or maybe that is another question in itself, the number of dogs a breeder has.

Some of the more "popular" breeders seem to have lots of dogs and kennel them. Some will rotate a few in the house, and litters are raised indoors as well, but the dogs will always spend some time in the kennel.

At the same time, I have friends who have 8-10 dogs and all are loved and properly cared for, but with 15+ how does one get to really know that many dogs?

Is this good practice? Does it boil down to personal preference on the buyers part?

I do not want to start a controversy or finger pointing. I am not saying the dogs are not cared, just looking for more insight on this topic I know NOTHING about.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-28-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I think this is an excellent question and I'm looking forward to the opinions from the breeders here. I got Libby from a "kennel". Keep in mind I knew nothing about buying a puppy, just happened across these people. The husband did field trials with his dogs and had five Grand Champions on the premises. He even spent some time with me showing me how he worked Libby's sire. The wife took care of the litters, which were in the house with her. I got to see both parents. They had all their clearances, health certs, etc. After joining JL and reading things here, I thought this was a good breeder, even though they had lots of dogs. I also have to add that a lot of their dogs are trained as service dogs. I've heard other people refer to them as a puppy mill. What do you think?

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I have debated posting this question or not. But it is something I have been thinking about and wondering what the thought on the topic is.

On all the boards there are a variety of things we should look for when choosing a breeder (clearances, proven dogs, litters raised indoors, screening buyers...).

What about those who have kennel dogs? I mean the very nice kennels, heated/cooled and cleaned usually because the breeder has many dogs (15+). Or maybe that is another question in itself, the number of dogs a breeder has.

Some of the more "popular" breeders seem to have lots of dogs and kennel them. Some will rotate a few in the house, and litters are raised indoors as well, but the dogs will always spend some time in the kennel.

At the same time, I have friends who have 8-10 dogs and all are loved and properly cared for, but with 15+ how does one get to really know that many dogs?

Is this good practice? Does it boil down to personal preference on the buyers part?

I do not want to start a controversy or finger pointing. I am not saying the dogs are not cared, just looking for more insight on this topic I know NOTHING about.
    I love this question too. I can't wait to see the responses because this is something I do not know anything about myself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Are the dogs happy? Are they well cared for?

While I don't keep my dogs in kennels, I don't automatically condemn those that do. Some people keep more dogs than others. I have six and do I know them all as well as someone who only has one or two? Prolly not.

Laura

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Same as Laura here. You have to be comfortable with how your own dogs live.

I don't necessarily condemn those who have big numbers, but I've asked some breeders how well they know their own dogs temperaments etc. There's only so much you can know about dogs that live outside. I know others who rotate dogs in the house/kennel etc.

I know a breeder who has 4 dogs and they live in crates in the basement. So I wouldn't say its an individual thing, I certainly wouldn't condone some of the lives that other breeders dogs have, and I'd live to live in some of their paws for a day.

Mine live in the house. I know every single thing about them. But for some, its overkill.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Tanya is offline Senior Member

thanks Laura and Melissa. Like I said I just wanted more info, I realise there are those with 1-2 dogs who are less loved/cared for.

Guess it boils down to asking questions and going with what you are comfortable with - and yes, that the dogs are happy and cared for
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

r6d
    r6d is offline Junior Member

What I worry about is the breeders may not be able to tell whether or not their dogs have the mellow temperament we buyers are looking for. If mom and dad are kenneled, how would you tell if they would ever settle down in a household and be decent doggy citizens? The lab puppy I have now is turning out to be a good dog, but, I really have to work with her, the crate training, housebreaking (ongoing project), manners, obedience, etc. I set her up for success with consistent training and exercise. I believe I know more than a lot of buyers, and if I had a rough time, I hate to think what they would have had. Yet, this breeder thinks her dogs have the best temperament ever.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I can say that I bought Rhys from a kennel situation. He is bomb proof. Not a thing rattles him, his temperament is unflappable. But that makes him very difficult to live with. I don't know what his parent's temperaments were like, but I'm sure they're nutso too, and I wouldn't say that that's due to them living in a kennel
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am not a breeder, and never will be. Have only had one dog at a time, excluding some doggie sitting for the kids' dogs.

HK came from one of these kennel situations. I supposed reading through the thread, (I have previously stated that I know thought the place where I got HK was a small scale puppy mill.) I may have to change my thinking. Maybe it isn't a puppy mill. But I know this much. I don't think of dogs as livestock. I think of them as my companion. A member of my family. Had I known before what I know now, I would only buy a puppy from a breeder that felt the same way and raised the dogs inside the home. i won't condemn the others, but I am becoming more aware of my feelings on the subject. I also know that HK is probably the last dog I get as a puppy, my age being the major factor. If I am here and able when Hershey Kisses passes on, I will find a shelter dog, hopefully a senior, that I can provide a home for and some happiness for both of us. I hope that day is a long long time away from now, but that is my plan.I guess I will be getting a kennel dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labby is offline Senior Member

As Tanya stated, most dogs get rotated in the house so their owners know their personalities.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast