Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

  1. #1
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultHelp - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    I got home today and saw the cocoa tin chewed open and cocoa ALL OVER the apt. Yeah, Rocky ate cooking cocoa (pure stuff).

    Off to the vet we go. He is with my regular vet, they have him throw up (nothing much came out) and gave him sulfate (or something) to absorb the coco. They recommend that I bring him to the emergency vet overnight to be monitored.

    I do not know how much he ate. The tin contained 500g of cocoa, but there was probably more like 350 left in there this morning (i have had it awhile). there is plenty all around the apt. So it is hard to judge how much he ate. I also left the house at 7:20 am this morning and returned around 3:45 so I have no idea WHEN he ate this.

    Rocky is twitching, coughing some. Clearly not himself.

    So....do I monitor myself or have the e-vet do that? He'd be at the big hospital here with all the specialist so if he did ingest alot clearly he is better off there.

    oh and i could use some good thoughts - i am starting to get the shakes myself

    ETA: the cost at the e-vet will be significant and I just spend $160 at my regular vet so far.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Trickster's Avatar
    Trickster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,913

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    I would be very concerned about my dog consuming that much pure cocoa. Personally I would go the e-vet route for piece of mind, especially as you say he is acting up.

    Good thoughts on route for you and Rocky! keep us updated.

  4. #3
    Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lawrence (ex-Topeka), KS
    Posts
    8,472

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    Do you know what to monitor? How long would it take you to get to the e-vet and get help if he needed it? And, if he becomes unconscious, would you be able to carry him to the car? I think these are some of the questions you need to answer.

    I'd go the e-vet route.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

    Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    yeah my biggest issue is distance from the e-vet and transportation.

    I managed to collect what he didn't eat off the ground, i could not give the vet the approx amount he ate so when i got back (very soon) i'll talk to them about how much is toxic (though I know it's alot) and see how much he did eat (or the most he might have eaten since there is some on the couch and on his bed). I can't measure - i have no scale.

    I am leaning towards e-vet, i don't put his safety at risk just to save money.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  7. #5
    Trickster's Avatar
    Trickster is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,913

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    How much is too much?
    The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). However, various reports by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have noted problems at doses much lower than this - i.e. 20mg/kg.

    Translated to a "typical" scenario, and using the 20mg/kg as a measure of "problems can be seen at this level of ingestion", a 50 pound dog would have to consume 9 ounces (+/-) of milk chocolate to consume the 20mg/kg amount of Theobromine. Some dogs won't see problems at this rate. Some may.

    This is a much more conservative toxic level calculation than the "standard" of 100-200mg/kg, but better safe than sorry. A dog sneaking a couple M&M's shouldn't have a problem, but it isn't a good habit to get into!


    http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutr...latetoxici.htm

    Some else will have to do the calculations because I am terrible with numbers...

  8. #6
    HersheyK's Dad's Avatar
    HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    10,307

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    Hershey Kisses would be at some kind of veterinary hospital, and I would be there too. Okay, Our kids are gone, she is my kid, and pretty darn important to me. Fortunately, I can afford the bill.

    Don;t know how tight I would have to be squeezed to envision a different scenario. I wuspect the e-vet will monitor something in the blood long before any observable symptoms showed up.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

  9. #7
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    I would probably let Rocky hang out at the e-vet for the night. If you knew exactly how much cocoa he ate and all of the details, it would be different, but I think I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink either way, but I would be sooo nervous to watch him myself...

  10. #8
    brody's Avatar
    brody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    3,895

    DefaultRe: Help - Have E-vet monitor or monitor myself? Ingested Cocoa

    e-vet would probably be the answer here if I was worried about getting to the vet safely and FAST if there was a problem ...

    I'm so sad for you though ..

    hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

    “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26