A VERY Rough Month
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A VERY Rough Month

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

UnhappyA VERY Rough Month

But first, the good news is (was) that on Sept 1, marked Tal's 3rd Gotcha Day!

We haven't had much time to celebrate because about 5 weeks ago, the boys wake me up on a Sunday morning about 4 AM. The kitchen sink was overflowing and water was everywhere I wasn't sure what to do to get it to stop and got a plumber from one of the local contractors to come out. We got the water stopped. The following Monday, he was here until 9 PM. SInk still not draining. Long story short, after about 3 weeks of plumbers, they re-routed my sink drain to the main drain from the house. Now $1200 poorer, but I have a sink that drains properly!

During that time, Tal, Barney and Midnight did ok, but they were not happy their routine was disrupted. Barney took it hardest of all. He just wasn't himself. The Sunday this all happened, I took them to play in the fields behind the college and there was a baseball game going on so I took them there. Ran into a parent of a player from the opposing team, boys were friendly as usual...one of my students on the team came over, same reaction. I sat down in the bleachers, and a lady came over, asked if she could pet them. I said sure. Barney let her know he DID NOT want to be petted. He kind of snipped at her. FLoored me. I gave a nudge on his leash and he backed off. Tal was hogging all the attention at that point.

I took them to the vet Saturday to get a complimentary nail trim, and they were both excited as usual. When Dr Mike tried to take Barney back, he growled, but Dr made him sit, gave him a treat and I guess he wanted the tech to trim because apparently he calmly sat there and let her trim his nails. Go figure. After playing today, I took them to the tail end of our soccer game. They actually did better than I expected with all the yelling and stuff. The only "incident" was a fellow had a smaller terrier who got loose and of course Tal and Barney wanted to play. I had looked away to swat a mosquito off my leg. Took all I could do to hold my two while the guy grabbed his barking dog. Funny neither Tal nor Barney barked.

I did ask the vet when we were there about Barney. He said he thinks he will return to normal the longer we are back to our normal routine. Barney has always been a bit more cautious about new folks than Tal has, but always with a sniff or two, all was well.

I do not want to leave him at home, but I want him to enjoy our outings like Tal does, well maybe a wee bit less enthusiastically! So I'm open for ideas. I am hoping this will fade with time like Dr thinks and was due to the disruption of our routine for most of a month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Guy, sorry to hear about the problems with Barney and the plumbing but delighted to see you post again. You've been absent about a month!

Kelli has had some of those same problems with Koda and seems to be working them through.

You might look at some of her recent posts or PM her.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Hi Guy! Sorry you've had such a rough month. We have been wondering how you are doing.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Hey Guy!
    I've been wondering about you all.
    Hope things turn around for you soon.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I've been wondering where you'd been, too!
    I'm with your vet... chalk it up to the disruptions in your regular routines.

I hope all of you can settle in now!

(Midnight is okay?)

Seamus and Flynn

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks and I will check out some of the stuff Kelli has been thru if she doesn't post here.

And Midnight is actually fine. Been doing great. When a plumber would come over, she just ran and hid under my bed..lol.

I suppose they are like us humans in that respect. Each one deals with stress a little differently.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

As you know I have missed your posts- hope all gets back to normal real soon! Di

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

When it rains it pours so to speak. Glad you got your plumbing taken care of. Too bad Barney has been having a 'period'. I'm sure he'll be back to normal as soon as he is comfortable in his routine.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Guy, sorry to hear of your troubles. I agree, dogs can get extremely out of whack when their routine is disrupted. Get back to it and he'll ease into his old self again, I bet.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Not much help from me - hope getting back to your routine will solve the problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast