Ring Nerves
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ring Nerves

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRing Nerves

:whatever:

So I'm showing the boys tomorrow and Friday. Simon is on Thursday, Angus on Friday. We will be attempting a second CD leg for each of them.

It's less than 24 hours away now, and I'm already jittery.

I wish I could get on top of the pre-show nerves. I feel OK once I step into the ring, but the minutes leading up to it are absolute torture!

It's so silly, because there is no reason to fear this. My job doesn't depend on it. Someone's life doesn't depend on it. It's not as though they have never screwed up before - they have, and they will continue to do so, I have no doubt. We are no strangers to NQs. It's not even like obedience is a huge spectator sport. More than likely, the only two people who will be paying any attention to us at all are the judge and Kevin.

Logically, I am aware of all this. And yet I am still nervous. Why!?!

What do you do to conquer ring nerves?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ring Nerves

Here's the honest to God truth.

I've never been nervous going into the obedience ring. Either you pass or fail, and you and your dog make that decision.

On the otherhand, I am a nervous wreck about conformation shows. There are far too many variables in there for me to possibly be in control.

What do I do to conquer the nerves? Make sure I am there on time, and spend some loving time with my dog.

Good luck!

patm is offline Senior Member

Hey Connie! I was just thinking about you today, and wondering how everybody was. I get the most nervous while driving to a show, which results in several "potty stops" for the human! Once I get there, I'm not too bad, but right before I go into the ring my heart starts to speed up and starts pounding a little. I always thought that I was OK once in the ring, but after thinking about Emilu's behavior in the ring ( she just freezes and barely does anything) , I revisited my behavior. I realize that while I don't FEEL particularly nervous, I'm really air-headed, forget to give my leash to the steward, walk from point to point in a fog, etc.No wonder poor Emilu isn't sure what to do! I'll let you know if I learn how to control this

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    Hey Connie! I was just thinking about you today, and wondering how everybody was. I get the most nervous while driving to a show, which results in several "potty stops" for the human! Once I get there, I'm not too bad, but right before I go into the ring my heart starts to speed up and starts pounding a little. I always thought that I was OK once in the ring, but after thinking about Emilu's behavior in the ring ( she just freezes and barely does anything) , I revisited my behavior. I realize that while I don't FEEL particularly nervous, I'm really air-headed, forget to give my leash to the steward, walk from point to point in a fog, etc.No wonder poor Emilu isn't sure what to do! I'll let you know if I learn how to control this
    Hi Pat! That could be my problem too. I don't *feel* nervous - heart pounding, etc. - but I have definitely experienced that walking around in a fog feeling.

The last show when Angus ran out of the ring, I went the wrong way on the heeling pattern and tripped over my own feet! He didn't run out until Recall, but I'm sure he probably knew Mommy didn't know WTH she was doing that day.

RE: Nervous at conformation and not obedience - See, I think it would be the exact opposite for me! I can see going into a conformation ring and not being even the slightest bit nervous, because either my dog is a better example than the others in the judge's eyes or he is not. Either way, I wouldn't feel like I had much stake in the decision he made. Of course, I have never done conformation so I do have a very limited grasp of what all is involved. Obedience seems more intimidating to me because you are being judged along with your dog, and there are SO many little nitpicky things that can go wrong!

Connie and "The Boys":

Hi Connie! I was wondering the other day where you've been........

I haven't conquered ring nerves, altho we're not in a ring, but on a hunt test ground. I have found that if I feel pretty secure that we can do what the test requires (altho there are many factors I have no control over) and have in fact over-trained for our level, then I am much less nervous. when I have doubt about whether we're "ready" is when I'm cat nervous and it's really not much fun to compete.

Frances

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to say good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Just wanted to say good luck!
    Thank you!

Connie and "The Boys":

labby is offline Senior Member

I never get nervous anymore. The world won't end if I don't win a dog show. I still love my dogs and they still love me. It's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, I stop doing it. Mostly I sit back and watch all the little games that people play and smirk.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Connie, I would think the best way to remember to relax is to keep reminding yourself that whatever you are feeling is telegraphed down the leash to your dog. If you are jittery or shaky or in a fog - he will be, too. If you are relaxed, confident, and happy, your dog will be the same.

So, relax, have a glass (or two) of wine, and go have fun!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I've never done a dog show, but know the feeling you're talking about well!

I second the suggestion about showing up on time, just so that you don't feel rushed or anything. Take a deep breath! You guys will do great!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast