behavior question- Trickster, kaytris, labby, others....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: behavior question- Trickster, kaytris, labby, others....

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Defaultbehavior question- Trickster, kaytris, labby, others....

For the first time ever, Payton demonstrated some aggression toward me.

Scenario: DH was going to bed early, he went upstairs, and Payton was lying on the floor beside the bed. (Payton is not allowed up on the bed, and for nighttime she is kennelled). So about an hour later, I am heading for bed, call her down stairs to put her in her kennel. She barks rather loudly, comes to the top of the stairs, and then ignores me and goes back and curls up on the floor beside the bed. I go over to her, again say "kennel", and she growls and showed her teeth. I thought of Labby and her "come to Jesus" moments. I grabbed her scruff, firmly said "NO" and sent her downstairs. Then I told her (LOUDLY)to go to her "place"( a pillow in the living room) which she did, and then sent her off to her kennel for the night. She is 3 years old and have never seen this behavior toward any person before. (Sometimes she can show aggressive barking with other dogs). She has never been food protective or anything like this- I can put my hand in her food dish while she is eating, take away kongs, etc.

My question: Do I "set her up" for this scene again, inorder to provide another correction, or avoid this altogether. I can understand that her place beside the bed is a "high value" place, etc.

Please advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

meandclint is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: behavior question- Trickster, kaytris, labby, others....

Good job - very well done. She was for some reason giving you some lip about doing what you wanted her to do. You addressed it perfectly and that maybe it - she might not do it again. Does your DH usually put her to bed? Was he not feeling well? For some reason she wanted to be there however you tell her where to go and that's that.

Yes if I were you I would set her up again in the same scenario and try to get her to do it again BUT don't let it get that far. When she turns to go back and is about to lie down you step in and take her collar and firmly tell her "NO" and push her in the right direction. Stop her BEFORE she goes into that anxiety zone.

Don't take this personally as many people do when their dog shows some dominance/aggression towards them. Payton still loves you just as much as yesterday or any other day. She is NOT a person and doesn't hold a grudge so don't hold one over her. She lives in the moment and in that moment she wanted to lie there and didn't appreciate your commands. You enforced your in charge and successfully dealt with the situation.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Great post from Sharon - totally agree with her advice.

I think you handled the situation very well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Sharon said it all.

Was DH ill, maybe, and Payton thought she had to protect him? Just a thought.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

My last 2 females behaved similarly with me at about 3 years old and got the same kind of response from me. They never tried it again. Good job!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Nothing to add, just good job!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Irrelevant aside: I've never understood this "Come to Jesus" phrase - isn't Jesus supposed to be for love, understanding and compassion?

Anyway, I'd be doing a TON of handling exercises, getting her comfortable and enjoying collar grabs, establishing a cue meaning "get on" and "get off" the furniture, kennel up, move out of my way - and make this a positive experience.

Correcting a dog for growling can backfire very easily ... a growl is a warning, and if we surpress the warning the dog MAY escalate to the obvious next step and feel the need to use her teeth.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

thanks everyone for the responses

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Kaytris gave some excellent advice. If you haven't deal with aggression before please don't try to set her up again, correcting a growling dog is an excellent way to get yourself bitten. You may have surprised her with the "come to Jesus" once, but personally I wouldn't count on being faster than a growing dog twice. If it were me (and it was with food aggression) I'd make going in her crate a positive thing. Kong smeared with peanut butter when she goes in, or a special treat that she only gets in the crate. Consistently every time she goes in something great happens. As kaytris suggested I'd also teach the on and off cues. I got some great advice from Sunjin about working with Jake and his problems - you might want to PM her as well

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

patm is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine one of my dogs actually, really growling at me, but I'm sure you couldn't either. I think that I would not let my dog in the bedroom at all right now, and step up the training with them. I have found that working with them, giving commands, and rewarding them makes them just behaved better in general, and you build a better bond with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast