Car Harnesses...?

Thread: Car Harnesses...?

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultCar Harnesses...?

Has anyone tried/used this or anything similar to this?

http://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Auto-Zip.../dp/B00164SZI8

It's one of the rewards from my credit card and I almost have enough points for it. It looks good and I think it would work well for Abbey since she likes to have a little bit of freedom in the car, but she makes me nervous when she won't lay down...

I won't get it if it's a piece of crap but if anyone has any experience with these, do let me know!

Thanks!

Justine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Car Harnesses...?

Sammi has a harness but nothing like that, I hope you get some responses because it would be interesting to see what others think.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

My MIL uses one with her Lab but she has to put a little extension strap on it to allow him to lay down.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Personaly, I don't like the looks of that. It gives the dog too much freedom. If there were a crash, I could see a dog flying all over the vehicle. The only thing it would prevent is the dog escaping the vehicle. The other thing I don't like is that the dog is attached from the back. In a crash, the dog would be pulled backwards. I prefer something that plugs into where you clip the seatbelt, and that attaches to the harness at the belly (the dog would be pulled down towards the seat, not over backwards). Caleb has a Premier SureFit harness and a strap with an end that plugs into the seatbelt receiver. I snap the strap to the harness ring that is under his ribcage. The strap is adjustable. At it's shortest, Caleb is able to stand up and sit. I've forgotten to unclip him a couple of times when I've run into a store, and he was able to move around the cab of my Ranger with no problem.

Not enough restraint in my opinion. Plus I do not think the handles it attaches to are equipped to handle the force the zip line would put on them in an impact. We use one that attaches to the seatbelt clip. I cannot find the link to ours... sorry

Henry rides in a car harness (Ollie is still in his crate) and his harness is attached to the car via the LATCH bar, the same thing you would attach a child's car seat to. If it's good enough for human children, it's safe enough for Henry (and Ollie!).

We use the PetBuckle tether (not their harness)... linky here: http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckl...ts_harness.htm

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Henry rides in a car harness (Ollie is still in his crate) and his harness is attached to the car via the LATCH bar, the same thing you would attach a child's car seat to. If it's good enough for human children, it's safe enough for Henry (and Ollie!).

We use the PetBuckle tether (not their harness)... linky here: http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckl...ts_harness.htm
    Ohh that looks nice..! I think my car has the latch bars but I'm not sure.. going to have to check that out. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in my manual...

So did you order the harness and the kwik-connect tether thing?

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom

Ohh that looks nice..! I think my car has the latch bars but I'm not sure.. going to have to check that out. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in my manual...

So did you order the harness and the kwik-connect tether thing?
    We also use the harness and tether for our boys, and I think it works great! My car unfortunately doesn't have the latch bar, but I can attach them to the seatbelts in back and it works just as well. They're allowed a little bit of room to move around, but not so much that it would be dangerous in a crash.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    ...Caleb has a Premier SureFit harness and a strap with an end that plugs into the seatbelt receiver. I snap the strap to the harness ring that is under his ribcage. The strap is adjustable. At it's shortest, Caleb is able to stand up and sit. I've forgotten to unclip him a couple of times when I've run into a store, and he was able to move around the cab of my Ranger with no problem.
    Found it! This snaps on to the harness just like a leash. The other end clips in where you would clip your seatbelt (it has two different sized ends). Before I found this, I used a 13" leather traffic lead clipped to the lap belt with a real carabiner (made for climbing, not the "pretty" ones used for key chains, etc).
    http://www.dogtrainingstore.com/cgi-...PARTNUM=AM3129

...Caleb has a Premier SureFit harness and a strap with an end that plugs into the seatbelt receiver. I snap the strap to the harness ring that is under his ribcage. The strap is adjustable. At it's shortest, Caleb is able to stand up and sit. I've forgotten to unclip him a couple of times when I've run into a store, and he was able to move around the cab of my Ranger with no problem.
    Found it! This snaps on to the harness just like a leash. The other end clips in where you would clip your seatbelt (it has two different sized ends). Before I found this, I used a 13" leather traffic lead clipped to the lap belt with a real carabiner (made for climbing, not the "pretty" ones used for key chains, etc).
    http://www.dogtrainingstore.com/cgi-...PARTNUM=AM3129
    That seems nice and easy! I already have 2 different harnesses for her, so that seems like an easy fix!