Humping Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humping Question

DefaultHumping Question

I have a "humping question"...as Tucker is getting older (6 1/2), I am noticing him humping more frequently...he NEVER humped when he was younger, he was fixed at a year old and never humped until probably 3 years ago when he was humped at the dog park (gotta love the tricks they pick up at the dog park!)...anyway, right after that happened, he tested the waters at home and tried humping me a few times...needless to say, that didn't go over well and he got a quick and forceful "NO"...over the years I have noticed a couple of things and i am looking for interpretation...

1. When I have a date over and we are on the couch, Tucker will try to hump the guy or he will go to the other end of the couch and hump the couch..this one is PARTICULARLY embarrassing because if the roles were reversed, I would think the guy was getting it on with his dog when I wasn't there!! (I kind of feel like Tucker is saying "she is mine and that couch is mine")

OK, I KIND of get that one...it is incredibly embarrassing but I guess I understand...this one is the weird one...

2. When I take Tucker out at night for his last pee, when we come back in, I take his leash off, give him a cookie and I might go sit in a chair to watch a few more minutes of tv...Tucker takes his cookie and looks like he is about to lie down, then he will quickly change his mind, run over to me and if I am already sitting, try to hump the chair, if I am still standing, he will grab me from the back (literally wrap his paws around my waist) and try to hump me...

WTF!?!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Humping Question

There is no way I'd ever allow a dog to hump me. In that instance it is dominance. I would take him by the scruff of the neck and we'd have a Come To Jesus meeting. I have two intact males and neither have ever tried to hump me. They know I'd tie their weeners in knots.

Sometimes dogs hump when they're really feeling good. It sounds like that might be happening with the cookie thing, but I'd still get after him for it.

The couch humping with the date is dominance, IMO. I'd really get after Tucker for it. Tell him, "NO!" and put him in a down stay for a few minutes. See if that helps.

Laura

Did a little looking and found this bit of information that indicates it could be a medical problem:

"If the testosterone levels are normal, hypothyroidism is not present and
    stopping prednisone is not helpful, then this would have to be treated as a
    behavioral problem. "

Is your dog on prednisone? Maybe you could also have the thyroid checked.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I would take him by the scruff of the neck and we'd have a Come To Jesus meeting.
    Okay, that totally cracked my a$$ up!!!
    Sorry, I have nothing to contribute but I do completely agree with Laura. I wouldn't tolerate if for a minute.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You could also consider taking an obedience course. Nothing reinforces who is boss by doing some training classes.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Well if you find out let me know. I walked in to see our spayed 10yr Golden humping our couch :suspious:

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Simon was neutered at seven months, but he occassionally still humps. Only the air. :suspious: He has never mounted either of us, or another dog. Just the air. Very, very weird.

I guess it does sound like a dominance thing, especially since it happens when another person is introduced into the equation.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

meandclint is offline Senior Member

As Labby pointed out they will sometimes hump when feeling "good" or frisky. My Cuffy humps the air after he poops. :surprise: He will also go into a hump mode on Scout in the house after bitey face and a bit of butt tucking. I discourage that. He was a stuffed animal humper as a puppy - we thought it was funny back then. Clint never humps anything except a girl that is here to be bred to him.

Anyway it sounds like Tucker is getting frisky when really happy/excited and it's become a habit. I would really discourage him by stopping it before it starts. If he does attempt I would also have a "come to Jesus" and push him down on the floor and hold him on his side until he calms down - not in anger but calmly and forcefully.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm going to get a bit personal here. I remembered something. Does the humping occur when you're on your period? You don't have to answer on the public board, but it's something to think about.

One of my puppies used to get protective of his female owner when she was cycling. He would stand between her and her husband and sometimes actually lifted his leg on the husband. Obviously it caused a few problems. I don't normally let my puppies get neutered before 14-18 months, but I gave my permission when she asked (I think the dog was just barely a year).

So anyway, it's something to think about in figuring out what is going on.

Laura

I have to agree this is a total dominance issue going on here and never would I let a dog mount me. With my three they will occasionally get a train going of humping, which I find totally hilarious, but hey what ever floats their boat. But after consulting your Vet and making sure he has no medical issues prevalent, I would get into a good obedience class or read some of Cesar Milans books.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast