Do You Trust Your Dogs With Kids?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Trust Your Dogs With Kids?

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo You Trust Your Dogs With Kids?

So do you?

Supervised

I trust Maggie May for the most part. She is a bigger fan of little boys than little girls for whatever reason. I think she had a bad experience growing up in the puppymill because she was terrified of my niece's when I first got her but we worked through it. She's not real big into to playing though and usually when the kids are here she chooses to either lay in my lap or lay on the couch. If they want to cuddle she is usually all for it. If she doesent want to she simply gets down and goes in her open crate. And the kids all know that that means Maggie May has had enough.

Sawyer its kinda tough because he is going through his terrible teen stage and can be like a bull in a china shop. Most adults he will behave well and sit and stay to wait to be pet. When its the kids nine times out of ten he's bouncing off the walls with excitement. I trust him more with my nephews and nieces because they are all over the age of five and they all don't hesitate to tell Sawyer to get down or go to his time out spot. But its steal not ideal. I don't really trust him around babies or little ones right now. He hasent had any experience with babies yet but I really doubt he would be gentle. Im not saying he's aggressive but he is the kind of dog that plays with his paws. Like I said I kinda of credit it to the teen stage because when he was younger he was really well behaved. Im hoping after his neuter he calms down just a tiny bit and of course I plan to continue to work with him.

Unsupervised

No freaking way. Neither one of my dogs are aggressive but I am not ignorant enough to beleive that even the sweetest most even tempered dog can't be triggered. I just don't want to chance an accident. Even with kids who are careful and good with dogs could accidently fall on or step on that sweet dog. And that sweet dog may in shock turn and nip. I will admit I left Sawyer alone with my nephew for five minutes when Sawyer was 10 weeks old and its probley wasent the best idea but I was in the basement and could hear everything. I also will not leave my dogs alone with kids because they are both my dogs and I am in charge. Meaning sometimes if left with the wrong person all the rules go out the window. Its like Sawyer and Maggie say "Moms gone time time to partay!!!!!!". Thats bad enough with an adult I wouldn't try and chance it with a kid wether a well known kid or not its just not gonna happen.

So what about all you?
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do You Trust Your Dogs With Kids?

absolutely.

My boys are very gentle with kids. They do therapy work with kids and they have a 17 month old crawling all over them. They are very gentle with her.

The only way I'd not trust them unsupervised is when there is food around. Not that they are aggressive, but they are pigs and would steal candy from a baby.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Absolutely to both! But no to my terrier she can be very grumpy and growls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Joey grew up on a Game farm/Holiday resort, where he was around people all the time from the age of 8 weeks he was exposed to constant attention. He always loved children, when he slipped out of our yard when the staff left the gate open, we would always find him at the pool playing with the kids. He has always been a very excited puppy, he still is even though he is almost 2 years old now

My sister who visits at least once a week, has three children aged 9,6 and 3. Joey is very protective over the little one, he acts as her body guard. We often sit on the porch while they play outside. He is so gentle with them that I have never worried about their safety.

We take them to the beach almost every weekend and he runs towards every child sniffing them and then rushing off to the next child. We often see a trail of children following the big yellow furry friend into the waves.

We had him neutered in the beginning of December, but he is still just as excited and free willed as ever.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

absolutely - except, as Dani said, if foods involved...then theiving is also involved. We've got a 2 yo at the boat who thinks it's ok to take a bite of whatever and then let the dogs have a bite too...they're gentle with their bites of sammy but the poor kid is gonna starve to death!

patm is offline Senior Member

My dogs aren't around kids that much, but I would not worry about them getting mean with them, maybe just knocking them over, or in Emilu's case, licking them to death. If there are kids in my house, there are usually adults right there because the kids are visitors. Last year we had my 2 great-neices staying the weekend with some other family members. There was alot more activity in our home than there usually is. The kids loved the dogs and spent a lot time "giving them commands" and trying to pet them etc. We were all sitting in the basement and the girls were laying on Skippy's new bed. They left and he got on it. When they came back, they just stood and said something to him and he raised up and woofed at them (in a not nice manner). I yelled at him and he ran to me and layed down. AFter that he tried to ignore them, so I really watched that they left him alone, or that I was with him when they wanted to pet him. He had just had enough of them, but I was rather surprised and disappointed in him - he's my love bunny. Even though Emilu is much more dog reactive, I can't imagine her getting at all aggressive with a human - she would just leave if she wanted to.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Absolutely. My first three were not raised with children in their own home but welcomed my first daughter when they were 4, 4, and 2 years old. We've since added another daughter and both have friends and cousins over all the time. My girls learned to walk holding onto the backs of dogs. They do get wound up and excited when their friends come over but they don't knock anyone down nor do I think they would ever snap.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Spud and Hoppy: absolutely. Spud is a therapy dog and is around kids all the time in schools. Both of these dogs wouldn't hurt a fly for any reason. The only reason I might not want Hoppy alone with small children is that he's so big and clumsey and could very well knock them over and hurt them while trying to play.

Sally: absolutely NOT! She does not like kids for some reason. I've never figured it out. But if a kid comes near her, she gets her hackles up and might growl or bark. I'm sure if I did some kind of doggie behavior therapist thing with her, she could be helped with this. That's probably something I should do.

I would trust Nellie unsupervised with any child of any age. I probably would be more worried about her getting hurt than the child.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, all 3 of them are big softies, Jed is a therapy dog in my school for children with learning difficulties. One time, in a split second a child bent forward and bit into him hard, did he retaliate by biting back? No he rolled onto his back and submitted, poor boy.

I absolutely trust my dogs with kids....it's kids I don't trust with my dogs!~lol

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast