YouTube video- Green Bay police take yellow lab

Thread: YouTube video- Green Bay police take yellow lab

DefaultYouTube video- Green Bay police take yellow lab

I came across this video on YouTube of 5 officers in Green Bay, Wisconsin taking 1 cheerful, tail wagging dog named Jack from his family. Here is a link to the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqtQM...e=channel_page
    In the video you will see him wagging his tail and wanting to play with the officers taking him away to be put to death. These are the things Jack's family has done to stop this from happening: they had him neutered, they paid to have a 6 foot fence built, they paid to take him to obedience training, they presented a petition circulated amongst their neighbors asking that Jack be returned, they showed a video to the city council of Jack being taken for a walk and neighborhood children running up to him and petting him. The owners vet is also helping to get Jack free- they say the dog is not dangerous. The person who posted the video also says that there was no warrant to take the dog and one should have been necessary as dogs are defined as property. Now there are two sides to every story and the dog catcher says Jack is dangerous and must be killed. Has she produced any witnesses to stand up and confirm this- not that I'm aware of. It's her word and apparently her word is all that matters in Green Bay. I know what you're going to say, you can't tell anything for certain by watching a video but tell me, does that dog honestly look vicious to you? So what can be done to stop Jack from being killed? I honestly don't know. Perhaps write a letter to the mayor? Time is quickly running out for Jack.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: YouTube video- Green Bay police take yellow lab

Why was he seized? Has he bitten? Even the most aggressive dog in the world won't be aggressive 100% of the time...

meandclint is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry but typically the police and animal control don't have a lot of spare time to harass people for no reason. I'm not saying there are not corrupt law enforcement officials but there are quite a few police there in that video so it's doubtful they are all "in on it". Yes the dog is wagging it's tail as the owner is walking it but as pointed out aggressive dogs are not aggressive all of the time; in fact dominant aggressive dogs can be very friendly the majority of the time. They can act normally on a walk but when loose act very differently. If the dog is completely normal and well adjusted then why did the owners have to do all those things - neutered, fence, obedience???? It would seem to me that they obviously know the dog does have issues.

Also in all states one dog bite does not warrant the dog to be deemed dangerous and put down. The dog must also be in violation of the dangerous dog decree and therefore be at large several times meaning the animal control officer consistently picks the dog up roaming the neighborhood. This of course is the owner's fault regardless of constructing a 6 foot fence - the dog must be kept behind the fence! So I don't think this is all it appears to be. How hard is it to keep your dog in your yard?

I feel sorry for the dog because the owners are so stupid.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

There is always so much more to a story that we will never know or hear about.
    Just from that short clip I see a cocky and arrogant owner. When the dog slipped its collar his response was "are you scared? are you scared of him?"
    They they have the audacity to not even have control over the OTHER dog in the video who runs out into the street.

Where is the rest of this story?
    Kim

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would like to know the rest of this story also. From the video the dog does not come across as any kind of dangerous, but we don't know the full story. Not all AC officers are qualified for their job, which includes looking out for mistreated animals, protecting animals left to roam, as well as protecting humans. Some may recall we were fighting a change in our off-lead regulations here. We are allowed to have our dogs off lead if under voice control and maintained in a heel position whenever another person is within the area. In parks, a dog must be leashed on any inproved area or trail, but four of our large parks have unmaintianed natural areas where we are allowed to let our dogs run, fetch, whatever as long asw we have effective recall. Effective means that they NEVER run at another person in these areas. One of our ACOs produced data indicating a large number of incidents with dog bites, all from unleashed dogs and was making absurd statements that any dog unleashed in the city was a dangerous dog. To make a long story short, a group of about 100 of us requested additional information on the statistics. Before we got them, a letter from the Police Chief to the Park Board and City Council was sent stating that the officer involved did not speak for the department and was being removed from her position. We won or position with both the Park Board and City Council, of course we now need a permit for these previous free privileges, and can lose them if the owner/dog combination are found to not be compliant. A few of us later learned that the incidents cited were over 90% at the dogs home property, and the person bitten either an intruder (bad guy), or service type person (Mailperson, appliance repair, meter reader, etc.) that the dog was likely protecting the property. Excluding the bad guys, the owners should have had the dog restrained. The rest were all from dogs at large, not in parks, nor with the owner anywhere in the area. It is amazing what someone can do with statistics. It is all in how they are presented.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.