Male or female puppy- how to decide?

Thread: Male or female puppy- how to decide?

DefaultMale or female puppy- how to decide?

My husband and I are looking to get a black lab puppy in the spring. This past May we lost our 11 year old male yellow lab to osteosarcoma. Growing up we had a male lab and my dad had 2 female labs. I currently have an 11-12 year old female Heinz 57 (approx 50lbs) and a 6 year old male American Eskimo Spitz. Both dogs get along with dogs of either sex just fine.
    Since my other dogs don't seem to care what sex how do I decide? When I filled out the prospective puppy paperwork for the breeder that I am interested in getting a puppy for I put undecided as sex preference.
    This puppy would be strictly a pet and would get the limited AKC registration papers.
    My current two dogs I didn't really pick. Rosie showed up on Thankgiving 2 years ago and had so much baggage I couldn't imagine trying to rehome her. The spitz we got from a shelter. I was looking for a female lab and he just spoke to my husband and me. Play bowing, smooshing himself up against the front of the kennel run. He was just saying PICK ME, ME, ME, me.
    So how do you decide which sex puppy to get? The particular litter I am interested in would not be due until Feb 2009. The mom lives in MD and the dad in NJ. I was planning on trying to meet both of them prior to actually getting a puppy. It may not be possible to meet the male though.
    If I can meet both do I base it on which parent's personality I like better? Get suggestions from the breeder? Flip a coin? Wait and see what is available out of this litter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Male or female puppy- how to decide?

As others will probably say, it's more about the temperament and the dog rather than the sex. If you go to visit the pups and you find a couple (maybe a male and a female) that have great temperaments and you "click" with them, then you'll have a decision to make. Sometimes the breeders can help you out, too.

Let the pup pick you (irregardless of sex). The breeder may have the best idea of who will work for you. I tried very hard to match the puppy to the buyer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Let the pup pick you (irregardless of sex). The breeder may have the best idea of who will work for you. I tried very hard to match the puppy to the buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    As others will probably say, it's more about the temperament and the dog rather than the sex. If you go to visit the pups and you find a couple (maybe a male and a female) that have great temperaments and you "click" with them, then you'll have a decision to make. Sometimes the breeders can help you out, too.
    ditto.,

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i completely agree with the above - let the breeder pick the puppy (regardless of gender).

There are "generalities" that can be said by gender, but there are too many exceptions to pick a puppy by "generalities". Best to go by the particular personalities of the puppies before you. just like girls are not all like their mom's you really really cannot say "oh the mom is like this, so all the female puppies will be as well". ideally the puppies should be a good mesh of both their parents.

ALOT of breeders (the good ones) insist on picking puppies for their buyers. They really know the puppies very well, not just which happens to have more energy that day, as they spend 8wks with them.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I agree. Let the pup pick you. After the pup picks you, decide if you want it pissing on yer furniture with its leg up or butt down. S'only difference that I've ever seen.