My New Pup**
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Pup**

DefaultMy New Pup**

hello everyone, im Frankie and i just got Hegan two days ago, and here are his first pics that i took. hes 3 months old

i love forums since i tend to get addicted and learn a lot from others experiences.

i have a couple of concerns with Hegan:
    -at times he tends to breath really fast w/o excersicing is this normal??

-his first owner got him use to eating only twice a day(morning&night) and hes in good shape, should i continue this routine or should i try adding the third meal(lunch) what do you guys suggest?

-last, his first owner had 6 small kids and an older lab(2yrs old) that Hegan was around 24/7, im not able to stick around all day, im away less then half of the day, and he begins to cry when i leave him, now my ? is, would it take a long time for him to adapt to this lifestyle? what can i do to help him adapt to this way of living quicker? (im leaving him in my room, pretty big, with toys and water, whenever im out. should i put him in a crate while im out instead?)

thanks in advance for your help.

im really happy with him and the last thing in my mind is letting him go. :no: idk what i would do if i had to give him back if he doesnt adapt to his new home :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My New Pup**

OOOOOOH, he's so adorable!!!!!

He will adjust, don't worry. He's a little shocked at having his world completely changed. I would suggest crating him, that's their safe place and "den".

The breathing/panting might be nervousness. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from members soon.

I just want to hug him!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bbbmom
    OOOOOOH, he's so adorable!!!!!

He will adjust, don't worry. He's a little shocked at having his world completely changed. I would suggest crating him, that's their safe place and "den".

The breathing/panting might be nervousness. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from members soon.

I just want to hug him!!!!
    thanks a lot for your help
    and yes thats what i was thinking about the crate, i have to go shopping for one now but uhmmm should i get a large crate since hes going to be a big one or would that give him too much room while hes a pup? thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hi there, Hegan is a cutie!!

I agree with the above poster, puppies breathe pretty fast and he's probably pretty nervous so that doesn't help.

I think eating twice a day is just fine, especially if that's what he's used to. Baloo ate twice a day as a pup with no problems.

DEFINITELY need a crate, it will be your very best friend. Buy a large size one that comes with a divider (many do) that way you can adjust it as he grows.

Here's a good crate training article:
    http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-cratetrain.htm

Try to relax and have fun with him, they're babies for such a short time. He will adjust to his new home in time and you'll wonder what you ever did without him.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Some crates (i.e. Midwest Lifestages Crates) come with a divider panel so that you can purchase the bigger crate but just section off as much room as they need as a pup. We have an 11 week old and this seems to be working! Good luck!

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Welcome Frankie & Hegan!

You can get a larger crate that has a divider in it for when he is smaller (a pup). I think it is the Midwest Lifestages crate.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely get a crate. If you get one of the plastic, airline-type, you can always put something like a milk crate in it to take up some room until the pup grows. Crate him any time you are not able to be with him and watching him. This is for his safety, as well as that of shoes, purses, furniture, remotes, cell phones ...
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

justine is offline Senior Member

Aw he's a cutie! Good luck with everything. if you stick around here, you'll learn a LOT!

P.S. You can also do searches by using the Google box at the top right corner and you can find information of people who've had similar questions.

You are going to get some GREAT ADVICE from the folks here. There are some really nice good knowledable people in this forum.

Congrats on the little guy. He sure is cute.

I would suggest sleeping in a t-shirt you don't mind loosing and then putting it in the crate. This way he will have your smell to help him while your gone at first.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

He is adorable, good luck with this sweet guy! I'm sure he will adjust well to his new life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast