Afraid of other dogs?

Thread: Afraid of other dogs?

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAfraid of other dogs?

Bauer (he will be 1 in a couple of weeks) frequently plays with 4 other dogs (a big mutt, 2 labs, and a french bulldog), and they get along great. He was fine with the dogs in his training classes, but we haven't been in about 4 months. We took him to the dog park quite a bit over the summer, and he was fine. I took him to the dog park the other day for the first time since summer, and he seemed nervous and scared when encountering other dogs. The first dog we encountered was a medium sized terrier, and Bauer's hair stood up on end and he kept running behind my legs trying to get away from the other dog. Next we encountered 2 golden retrievers, and he did the same thing. The younger golden kept following him, and eventually Bauer started to play with him a little bit. Every other dog we came across he did the same thing: hair up on end, ears plastered down, tail down, and acted like he was trying to get away from them.

I have never seen him act like that before. He loves to play with his 4 dog friends, and hasn't had a bad experience with other dogs. Does he just need more exposure to lots of other dogs?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Afraid of other dogs?

He is probably just acting submissively, keep taking him as the more he gets used to other dogs the better he will be

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    He is probably just acting submissively, keep taking him as the more he gets used to other dogs the better he will be
    I agree. I think he's just kind of "out of it" since he hasn't been there in a while. If you keep taking him, he'll get used to it again, especially if there's a nice Golden following him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    I agree. I think he's just kind of "out of it" since he hasn't been there in a while. If you keep taking him, he'll get used to it again, especially if there's a nice Golden following him.
    I am sure that you are both right. It was just very hard to see him like that. I felt like he was the dorky kid on the playground getting picked on by the other kids . We will be sure to take him more often to keep him practiced at meeting new dogs.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.