My new lab has me in tears!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new lab has me in tears!

DefaultMy new lab has me in tears!

We've had Holly for 3 weeks now, she's a chocolate lab full of energy. I try to take her out every hour just to tire her out! I've never had a "puppy", I got Cash our yellow lab when he was 1 1/2 years old.
    We also have had Jade for 3 weeks and she will be 1 this month. She has never been socialized and is so shy and timid. It's awful.

Anyway, back to Holly, she bites, and bites, she's got more energy than the Engergizer Bunny!!! I have a head cold and don't feel well, my body is achey and I'm cold. I've been dealing w/ Holly all day and I'm just near tears. I try to praise her often, but most of the time it's "No Holly, no biting." "No Holly, don't do that." :'(
    I have 2 teens home so they have tried to help me out, but return to school tomorrow so they are getting ready for bed.

I cannot wait for Holly to go to bed too!
    I even napped when she napped....please tell me it gets better. She's gonna be 3 months old....and I call her Holy Terror instead of Holly right now. :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My new lab has me in tears!

it does get better. try making her some frozen kongs....stuffing treats and goodies inside the kong and freezing it...gives her something to do and chew on. have you tried bitter apple? it helped a little when my girl was young...she was a little terror as well, but she is 5 now and the love of my life. hang in there. i promise it will get better. check out the puppy and training section here for more tips!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We thought Toby was an alligator cross when we first got him. He bit, he chewed, he drew blood on both of us and we still have scars. When he was about 4 months old I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life bringing him home. Now (3 years later, though of course I realized sooner), I know that the biggest mistake I could have ever made would have been to give up on him.

It does get better. It gets so much better that you'll never believe the love of your life was ever a little hellion you once wanted to kill. But it does take time. Hang in there, it's worth it - and you can always vent here - we've been there!
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Our 12 week old Rosie is a nipper too. We tell her "no" strongly and then immediately give her something she is allowed to bite. She's getting better!

We should try the frozen kong thing too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess not feeling good has given me the blues. I'm not even sure I can handle the 11 month old Jade, I really cannot afford a behaviorist, and nearest one is over an hour away...one way. The two of the combined is enough to drive me to tears.

And now...Holly is humping her teddy bear friend. :'(

julia is offline Senior Member

awww hang in there. Little Miss Holly will get better when she gets a little older. My guy was the same when he was a puppy and is now the best dog ever. Things will improve....don't give up. Just some days especially when you are sick and need rest seem worse than others. ((((hugs))) to you and Holly.

Julia

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Feeling bad definitely does not help. Take lots of pictures of Holly while she's small and adorable, they will make you feel better when you look at how cute she is. (I swear that being cute is the survival mechanism of labs, otherwise they'd most all be killed for their badness!)

Good luck. It's worth it, belive me. Though it can be tough. Don't give up.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

LOVALAB is offline Junior Member

Please hang in there. I have raised puppies for Leader Dogs and I know you will survive the puppy blues. Have alot of chew toys - Kongs with peanut butter, stuffed toys, nylabones, etc. Don't be afraid to use the crate for time out - my girls love their crate and would fall asleep when placed there. I am not sure if you are using a crate, but I is a real life saver. My dogs that are 1 1/2, 2, and 13 years old still sleep in a crate and love it. Please don't get discouraged, you will do great!!

Felix is offline Senior Member

As all the other forum members allready said, just hang in, and 'things' are going to better .. As i read youre story, you just have a 100% normal Labrador in you're house

And as TobysTrix said, make a lot of pictures of here, so if she growup, and she's old you always have the memories of a having a small Lab around the house

Suc6!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi will soon be 3yrs old and I so remember what you are going through! The funny thing is just the other day we were talking to a friend about this and DH says "Sammi never did that" How soon we forget!! Hang in there it will get better! I was just wondering, are you using a crate? It is so helpful and IMO necessary for giving her and you a brake and to help with training!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast