peeing in the house signs of UTI ?

Thread: peeing in the house signs of UTI ?

fburke is offline Senior Member

Defaultpeeing in the house signs of UTI ?

Autumn is still a puppy but today 3 times she has peed in the house. Usually she is pretty good with this so today, even after I had let her out a short time before so I am a little curious.

I also noticed her urine has a strong almost fishy smell, so I was wondering if she had a UTI or maybe a bladder infection. She doesn’t seem to have any discomfort..

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: peeing in the house signs of UTI ?

Take a sample into the vets. I don't think it's expensive to check it out, and better safe than sorry.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

justine is offline Senior Member

Incontinence is one of the first signs of a UTI.. other symptoms are a foul smell (like you mentioned), lethargy, blood in the urine, etc.

I would definitely get a sample and take it to the vet's. They can figure out whether its a UTI or something of that sort.. could also be a urinary stone, but that's less common. I wouldn't mess around with it though because letting it go could make things worse.

Generally your vet would just give you some antibiotics for a few days and it would clear up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like it could possibly be a UTI - Moose had one around 9 weeks old and at first we attributed it to him being a puppy and peeing in the house. Except that he seemed to be doing well with the housetraining, and then just started to regress. The vet tried to tell us it was normal, but we insisted on having a urinalysis done and sure enough, it was an infection. He went on antibiotics and they were effective immediately. However, the course of antibiotics weren't long enough because he developed another one shortly after going off the medication. I believe it was only about $20 for the urine sample, but it made housetraining a breeze after getting it taken care of!

Anne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fburke

I also noticed her urine has a strong almost fishy smell,
    Definitely sounds like an UTI to me. Collect some urine and run it by your vet's office. 24-36 hours of antibiotics and you will see a marked improvement.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Samson is offline Senior Member

Dylan pees with excitement - mainly at training but there is no odour at all ! I think that I would get it checked out if it smells !