Sally hair falling out....not just shedding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sally hair falling out....not just shedding

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultSally hair falling out....not just shedding

Sally has never been much of a shedder. We've been really lucky in that area. But I just noticed about 4 or 5 days ago, her hair on her butt is coming out in patches. Much more than shedding. You can pull out big patches of hair. I've never seen this on her before. The hair is coming out on her whole butt area....up by the base of her tail and down under her tail (where the hair is longer).

I obviously want y'all's input, so here are some facts:

1. Since I'm sure your first question would be about her food, let me say that she is on Nutro chicken, rice and oatmeal food. She's been on that food since she was a puppy. Always done fantastic on it. I know a lot of people don't like Nutro, and that's fine. But my philosophy is do what works for your dog. I do realize also that things can change. Maybe she's developed some type resistance or whatever and Nutro is now causing her problems. I would love to know what you think might have happened as far as her food goes.

But.....unless you honestly think something has changed with her to make Nutro all of a sudden cause her to have this problem, please don't use this post as an opportunity to bash Nutro.

She also gets a can of salmon each week. Plus she gets random scraps of chicken, apples, and other nutritious food we eat.

2. She had that injury to her butt. The cut and stitches are on her left butt cheek. The scar is about 6-7 inches long. And remember, for 10 days she wore that cone, couldn't exercise, and was under a lot of stress.

3. We added a new dog to our pack.

So....what do y'all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sally hair falling out....not just shedding

pardon spelling - some have said in the past that the anestesia??? causes a big blow/hair loss. Perhaps stress at the cone/injury too. surely not the new pup or the same food or the normal added foods...

Is it undercoat or topcoat or both. Some times Bear has such a bad shed undercoat comes out in clumps. If you are worried and think its not shedding a thyroid test and a good look at her skin would be in order

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    Is it undercoat or topcoat or both. Some times Bear has such a bad shed undercoat comes out in clumps. If you are worried and think its not shedding a thyroid test and a good look at her skin would be in order
    I definitely think it's not shedding. Spud is a big shedder....top coat, undercoat, in-between coat, overcoat, every coat in the world. During the big shedding seasons, his thick butt coat will come out in clumps. But I've never seen any shedding that looks like this....ever.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

My girls eat Nutro and I have had not a single issue with it, plus their coats and skin are beautiful. That said, I'd be curious to know if when the hair comes out is it leaving bald patches? Did you check for fleas? Any new household products that she may have come in contact with? Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not much help. Could you get a pic of it?

i've had dogs with very thick coats have the butt clumps. zena had them this year. i sat on the deck and pulled out patches of butt clumps. she didn't go bald or anything, though. but it is common; unless of course she has lost all her fur there, and then i would have it checked to see what might be going on. but clumps sticking out that you can "pluck" are fairly common.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

When my dogs shed I can pull huge chunks of it out. Sometimes they blow coat so bad I can see skin.
    Kim

i've had dogs with very thick coats have the butt clumps. zena had them this year. i sat on the deck and pulled out patches of butt clumps. she didn't go bald or anything, though. but it is common; unless of course she has lost all her fur there, and then i would have it checked to see what might be going on. but clumps sticking out that you can "pluck" are fairly common.
    When my dogs shed I can pull huge chunks of it out. Sometimes they blow coat so bad I can see skin.
    Do y'all think that Sally would just all of a sudden start shedding like this. She has never really shed before. For example, anytime I've ever used the zoom groom on her, I can't even get one full zoom groom of hair off of her.

Could she just all of a sudden start this heavy shedding?

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Are there actual bare patches of skin? Are they wet, or dry? Or is it just a lot of hair coming out?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    Are there actual bare patches of skin? Are they wet, or dry? Or is it just a lot of hair coming out?
    no bare skin....not that bad. It's all dry. Just clumps of hair coming out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast