New from Florida-UPDATE!!!! She's Home!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from Florida-UPDATE!!!! She's Home!!!!

DefaultNew from Florida-UPDATE!!!! She's Home!!!!

Hi everyone! I am so excited that I found this forum! I am not yet officially a mommy. I have adopted a 10-week old female black labrador from a kill shelter here in my community. She is as cute as a button. Before she comes home, she has to be spayed, so we probably won't get her until the end of the week. I did own a female black labrador about 10 years ago, and she was the best dog I have ever had. She came down with some sort of cancer at only four-years old and died. I was devastated and it took me this long to adopt another. Since I had such a wonderful experience the first time around, I am confident this little girl will bring joy into our house. My children (four) are so excited! We went out to Petco yesterday and bought a new collar, leash, a few toys, food, treats, and a bed for her. We still need to buy her a crate, but I was trying not to go crazy before we even got her lol. We have come up with three different possible names for her: Mia, Gracie, or Sasha. Once we bring her home, we'll check out her personality, and pick the best one.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I am so excited that there is such an informational forum here for lab owners. I will post again as soon as we bring our baby home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New from Florida

Welcome from Lexi & I, in PA!

I am sure your new pup thanks you for adopting her from the shelter.

Lots of pics of your new baby are definitely in order.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Tundra Aries Guest

Welcome from NY!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for your warm welcomes. I just can't wait to get her! I guess I should be patient, but I just want her to know that she has a warm and loving home that she's coming to, and is being taken out of that cold, ugly place that she's in right now. I'm almost tempted to go visit her today, but I dont' think my boss would appreciate that lol. I will post lots of pictures as soon as she comes home. Oh, and by the way, her brother was also adopted the same day, but of course, not by us. He was adopted before we even got there and is also awaiting neutering, so at least they are still together for now.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum from NW Iowa! I am so very glad you saved/rescued your little girl!!! Yes, pictures please. I swear I can feel your excitement through my computer screen!

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

welcome from Nova Scotia, Canada.
    Great to rescue your pup. glad she going to have a good loving home.
    bring your questions to the forums, the people here have a lot of knowledge and experience. but don't get scared off it they seem rude, harsh or abrasive, it really is not their intention they just are passionate about dogs and want to see the best for all dogs!
    may I ask why the pup is being spayed so early?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome from Barrie Ontario!

Hi everyone!

Well, my baby Mia is home!!!! She is just the cutest little thing. As soon as I brought her home, I took her out for a walk and she did her business outside. I've noticed that as long as I keep an eye on her, she'll give me signals when she has to go potty. As soon as I notice her signals, I take her out and she goes. Her personality just shines! She loves to snuggle and she is wonderful with the kids. She sleeps on her bed that we had bought for her with no problems and she will wake up and start whining when she has to go potty. Just awesome! Unfortunately, she has tape worm. The shelter said that they had de-wormed her, but obviously, it didn't work. I called the vet and they gave me more medicine for her. She took the medicine like a trooper and trotted on to play lol. I have to bring her back to the vet when she is 12 weeks old to have her rabies vaccination, along with the other vaccinations she needs that the shelter said she was "too young" for. Funny - she's too young for vaccinations, but they didn't hesitate to spay her at 8 weeks old. :whatever:

Dynamic: The Animal Control Shelter would not let us bring her home without spaying her. I spoke to a vet and they said that, yes, it is very early to have her spayed and to just make sure she doesn't get over active until she has fully healed. The vet said that they normally would not spay her until she is at least 12 weeks old, but the county shelters tend to do it anyway. These county shelters do not care - they just pull in these poor animals and treat them all like prisoners. I'm just thankful I was able to save at least one baby. There were so many others there and my heart was breaking for all of them. If I had more room, I probably would've brought home all of them. While I was picking up my Mia, a man brought in a cat that a neighbor had abandoned. He said that she was pregnant so he took her in and kept her until she weened her kittens. He was able to find a home for all of her babies, but no one wanted her. He couldn't keep her because his dog did not like cats. The shelter told him that there is no hold on cats and that she could possibly be euthanized the next morning. You could tell that he was torn. He said that he tried to bring her to the local non-kill shelters and they all told him they had no room. It's just a sad situation all around.

Anyway, as soon as I find my digital camera, I will take some pictures and post them here (if I can figure out how to do that!)

Thank you everyone!

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

DefaultRe: New from Florida-UPDATE!!!! She's Home!!!!

Congratulations on your new baby girl! I am sure she is a bundle of joy. be careful about the worms tough and remember to do lots of hand washing including reminding kids to wash their hands.
    Always sad to see animals have no place to go. and I agree I wish I had the space to take them home as well.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New from Florida-UPDATE!!!! She's Home!!!!

I can't believe its been 6 months since I brought my little guy home. I felt just like you do. Enjoy this wonderful time while it lasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast