Newbie from South America (Argentina)

Thread: Newbie from South America (Argentina)

DefaultNewbie from South America (Argentina)

Hello Everyone,
    I am so excited to join what already seems like a great group of dog lovers! My husband and I live in Argentina and we sort of feel like fish out of water with our new 7-month old puppy Flash. While Argentina next to the US (and maybe Brazil) is a dog loving country, our resources are extremely limited. So I am looking to all you experienced ones for some help.

Bill and I are not first time dog owners. I grew up with dogs all my life - first a Dalamation and then a Cocker Spaniel. We gave a great mixed-breed pound pup a chance at a wonderful life. He sadly died at the age of 5 here in Argentina. Things are a little backward in our small town so we don't know what happened other than he had a heart attack. A few weeks later we went to the local shelter to donate his food and we came how with a beautiful purebred lab that we named Jack. We did not know it at the time but he was infected with Distemper. In Latin America this is extremely common as is Parvovirus. We put up a strong fight - daily B-12 shots and antibiotics but it was a losing battle. After 3 weeks he developed the final stage - neurological damage and needed to be put to sleep. Our family was emotional broke, but I insisted that we were going to give another puppy a chance at a good home. That is when we found this wonderful breeder named Carolina who offered us Flash. He was one of two puppies she kept for show potential and he did not make the cut (he is a little head strong and can be really lazy at times). So at 5 months old we have become the proud owners of Barbours Best Man of Honor aka Flash.

You might all wonder how he got a name such as Flash...like Flash Gordon. He is named after some Army lingo made famous in the series "Band of Brothers"...a soldier would say Flash and the other Thunder to each other in the field to identify themselves during night movement. Bill says its because he is leaving an opening for there to be a Thunder soon.....yikes !

I look forward to learning lots from all of you!
    Angela & Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Newbie from South America (Argentina)

Welcome to the forum. Check out all the other sections here - training, nutrition, lab chat for more information. by the way I'm in Ontario Canada

Tundra Aries Guest

Welcome from NY!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Welcome, I am from Mexico.

Big dog country Argentina. I was there a couple of times last year and was amazed at the number of dog walkers everywhere (especially in the Palermo Area in B.A.) I still don´t know how they can orderly walk with 20 dogs.

My brother´s Golden Retriever is actually Argentine! He got her back when he lived in Argentina for over three years.

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

Hi there,
    welcome from Nova Scotia, Canada.
    Hope the forum helps you with your new pup. I am sure he will bring joy into your house and getting a thunder will certainly double that joy! 2 dogs are no more work than one. actually I think it is easier becaus ethey entertain each other!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Welcome from Oregon!

Hi welcome from the UK!