Newbie here and new Furmama!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here and new Furmama!

DefaultNewbie here and new Furmama!

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the board as of today and was turned onto this site by a friend on another message board.

Well, I am a new furmama as of tomorrow when I go pick up my new baby, Gracie, a 8wk old chocolate lab from the breeder. I am beyond excited, nervous, anxious and just plain joyful about the prospect of being a new furmama. I have a 15yr old cat and have been her furmama for the last 15yrs. I have a 10 yr old son who (and really me) has wanted a dog for a long time. I have always grown up with dogs throughout my life right up until I went off to college years ago. Since I have been married to my hubby we haven't had one many because he wasn't ready (i always was though but understood and was going to patiently wait until he was, thank god it happened).
    We researched breeders pretty well (rather I did all the leg work and hubby didnt) as well as read up on everything I could get my hands on but it came down to intelligence, gentle nature, loyalty and just lovability in the type of dog we wanted. I have always wanted a lab, especially a english type lab. And it was a hard choice between chocolate or yellow but chocolate won out.

So, I have all the books and the internet at my fingertips to learn and get advice from along the way but in the end, my being a huge animal lover all my life I know I will be rewarded 100 fold from all the comes with all the love that a dog brings to a family. I couldn't be happier. I know its extremely hard work ahead in training but knowing the lab's intelligence and yearning to learn it will be so worth it.

I plan on crate training Gracie and putting her on a set schedule for feeding, housetraining and playtime and that this will be all me with some help from my son and hubby whom I will have to train and crack the whip on sticking to the rules of the house. I will be sargent around here!

Any tips, advice or whatever is so welcome.

here are some pics so far:

here she is with her three sisters (not much more than a couple weeks here I think), I am not sure which one she is though (we didn't pick her out until she was 5 weeks).

a little older here.

she's about 4 weeks here.

here she is when we came down to pick her out (she's 5 weeks here)

she's about 6 weeks here.

and the latest pic of her as of a couple of days ago (she's 7 1/2 weeks here)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Newbie here and new Furmama!

Whoa what a little beauty. There is alot of great info on these forums so before you panic when something happens unexpectedly hurry to these forums and ask for help. I like the choices you have made regarding regular play time, crating and regular feeding times.

You will find (at least in my experience) that the toughest times are the earliest times as puppies are definetly work for the 1st while. However the work you put in at the beginning will be rewarded 10 fold as the dog grows older and I can guarnatee you that the few trying times of puppyhood will be forgotten soon enough and you'll have a loyal friend for a long time.

One tip, make sure your place is somewhat puppy proofed as if they can get into trouble when not watched like a hawk they will. (don't want your pup to chew up something of your hubbies and get in the bad books.) Also, I bet within a year or so hubby who perhaps was not ready for a dog before will grow attached to the new friend of the family and will have alot of fun spending time with her.

thanks!

She is a beauty all right. Biased though I am, hey I can't help it. I fell head over heels in love with her the day we met. She has such a sweet personality. Not too shy and not too aggressive/hyper. We stayed and played with her for a good 2 hours or more so we got to know her a bit I think. I was drawn to her, because of her nature I think it will make a good fit for our family for sure.
    She will be in our basement area (hallway between the baseroom and the bathroom), we have our tv, computer down here and this is where we spend 90 percent of our time as a family. The floor is old VCT(in the hallway where she will be) so it will be easy clean up and was one of the reasons why I choose this area. We got a pet gate for the doorway to the basement and will close the bathroom door to keep her out of mischief, this is where the crate will be. My plan was to gradually expand her area as she gets accustomed, and on a schedule but the other thing is since I am on the computer and in the basement I'll just tether her to me to keep her under watch. ( I bought a 4ft nylon lead for this purpose, I also have a 6ft nylon lead for walking)I will make sure she has plenty of toys in front of her and if she ventures to something we don't want her to go to i will redirect her with one of her toys. I am open to suggestions of course. If i need to concentrate on something for a long period of time (more than a few minutes) then I will put her in her crate until I am finished. Is that a good start?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Awwwww, soooo cute! Welcome from NY!!

thanks!

well so far 2 minor pee accidents today on the floor but in the area where she hangs out, easy clean up no problem (. But the other times we got her outside she peed, pooped with ease.. woohoo... she got lots of praise. When I cleaned up her accidents I just went and cleaned with no real attention to her, and no words spoken. The only thing i need to pay attention to is play times inside and to remember to take her out after 15 min. I think that is why she had her accidents, we are so excited having her here that we lost track of time. I know she'll get the hang of it.

One great thing so far is she loves her crate! I have had no problem with her going in there (she actually does this all on her own) for her naps so far today.

examples of her passed out in her crate.

Oh my gosh...she's the sweetest furball of chocolate!!!! You will definitely have to post pictures at least once a week

I have never heard the term "furmama" until your post...how cute!

Quote Originally Posted by bbbmom
    Oh my gosh...she's the sweetest furball of chocolate!!!! You will definitely have to post pictures at least once a week

I have never heard the term "furmama" until your post...how cute!
    thanks, she sure is! i'm in love.. I will try and post pics as much as i can..

i call my animals my furkids ( i have cat as well) so it was automatic calling myself furmama.. LOL

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

What a cutie!! Love her eyes.

brody is offline Senior Member

welcome!
    I'm on dial up so don't see pictures without a long wait I'm too impatient for but she sounds adorable
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Welcome and Congrats! She's adorable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast