Is it separation anxiety?

Thread: Is it separation anxiety?

ourmarley is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs it separation anxiety?

Hi everyone!

My name is Eva. I joined this forum because I like labradors, I am a lab owner, and would like to educate myself on them more. However, the main reason is that I seek an advice from experienced lab owners. We adopted our beautliful Marley 3 months ago. Both my husband and I grew up with dogs, so we decided to get one after we got married. We found our wonderfull dog at a lab rescue in Towson, MD. He is a great dog, very smart, loving and friendly. In fact, he is so beautiull that people would stop us as we walk him and compliment us. He is a pure-bread yellow lad (acctually he is more white than yellow). He shows all the "signs" that a lab should have: a lot of energy, love, excitiment, and the never-ending puppy-like-charackter. Marley is 14 months old. Everything is great, but we have been experiencing this one problem with him recently: whenever we leave the house, he barks for hours until we come home. We have used crate from the day one. The weird thing is that he just started to do it recently. He was doing great before, however this problem occured about a week ago. Nothing has changed in our rutine. We tried everything we were advised to do, including shaking the crate, splashing him with water, leaving the TV on for him, we even bought the bark collar (we haven't tried it yet, cause i don't like it),...We never leave him alone for more than 3 hours. We exercise him regullary -take him for long walks daily, run him, take him to obedience classes.
    My question for anyone who can help us is: do you thing these are signs of separation anxiety? It is important for me to know this,because based on the articles I read about this problem, we have to address him in a certain way, if he suffers from this behavior problem (for example, the articles say we should not use the crate, nor the bark collar).
    Anybody who has any suggestions on our problem, please give me your opinion. It is extremely importanat for me that my dog is happy.
    thank you,

Eva.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it separation anxiety?

If he has only just started doing it and he is walked im guessing he might get a little bored (im not that experienced but in my opinion lol) have you tried a stuffed kong to keep him occupied?

Cool name btw did u read the book marley and me? lol

Tundra Aries Guest

I just wanted to say welcome from NY!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome from Charleston, SC
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

brody is offline Senior Member

if he's content in the crate its ok to leave him in it - but some dogs with seperation anxiety are so anxious they do themselves serious damage in a crate

I'm not a fan of bark collars for any dog

you want to make sure he's got things to do when you aren't home- a kong a bone whatever works - sally loves her treat ball ....and it entertains her for a very long time

a radio or tv might help him not bark as well

and lots of exersise can reduce anxiety too

thanks for taking him in and welcome
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

ourmarley is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice! We have tried all the things most of you mentioned, but it didn't work. We tried the bark collar today - he doesn't even respond to that! And the Kong keeps him busy only for a little while, till he gets the treats from it, but then starts to bark again...
    this is a great site! thanks again,

Eva.
    Attached Images Attached Images